Lesbian soldier wins bias case

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by the_guru, Jan 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=84263&in_page_id=34

Not seen this in the Current Affairs section, but to be fair, I only got back online last night.

Or have the mods purged the subject? If so, why, as this is quite obviously in the public domain now, and I would like to think that we could, with sensible moderation, be able to discuss this as adults.

I would note that the amount discussed is 400,000 pounds, and would like to juxtapose this amount against the announcement that the maximum that a wounded soldier could expect would be 285,000 pounds.

Compare this soldiers story with that of Ben Parkinson and then justify the difference in compensation.

Insane.

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Why is she not suing the blerk that sent her the text messages?

If she went up the chain of command, they should have done something, and if they didn't, she might have a case, but the amount on the table is disgusting.

3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

£40k for hurt feelings? FFS who couldn't claim "hurt feelings" against their CoC at some point? Pathetic

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

With the caveat that this is a "may get" possible non-story.
    Clearly lawyers find it easier to win these cases and sums as opposed to injured soldier compensation - thats a question of law and precedence.
    The sums are simply staggering though, end of career payout is in that region - and she is hardly not able to work for the rest of her life.
    40k for "hurt feelings", in the army FFS? "Sorry you dont like my boots RSM, I was up late last night bulling them and now I am heartbroken...."

5. where's the original link from arrse? or did that thread get deleted?

6. Seems you may be able to make a living out of having hurt feelings:
    Another example of compensation gone mad. Perhaps if I became a gay foreign immigrant I could retire :roll:

7. I wonder if the Army will seek damages from the allegedley well ´hung´Sergeant,after all he sent the messages,he´d have too sign on for quite a while to pay 381K?

Where does the Army´s responsiblity for it´s Senior ranks end?

And yes,I´d give her one..........sue me bitch! :twisted:

You can add a comment on Metro to the article if you wish!!! :D :D

8. It is not a libel case. She is claiming for discrimination.

9. What is your point?

How does a quoted 400K for discrimination compare against the amount of money allocated to Ben Parkinson and a good few others for their injuries.

Sticks and stones, love.

10. My point is that the headline for the thread is wrong. I did not compare the potential award with anybody else's circumstances at all.

11. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

12. Because the MOD is not liable for injuries sustained on operations and has set up a structured compensation scheme by way of, err, compensation. You do not have to take the MOD to court to recieve the money and they take no blame for your injuries.

This case, on the other hand, has proven some level of liability on the part of the MOD for discrimination, loss of earnings, mental distress etc. I'm not suggesting this is fair, but alas it is the way the law works.

13. If the case is for discrimination rather than libel. Then should it have not been proved that he could not convert her with his manhood. If once she had experienced his length she then converted away from the fury cup, there would be no case to answer!! I rest my case!!

14. My bad in the title.

The whole point of the thread is to compare levels of compensation.

It is skewed as anyone can see. And there should be a set ladder of monetary compensation throughout society. It isn't just about the military.

15. Title changed to the actual Metro headline.

No threads have been deleted on this as far as I can remember.