Leopard II -exports

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Never having worn red trizers myself,thought I'd ask the experts.

At the weekend I was cheerfully throwing 4X4 jags onto a Korean ro-ro when I glanced up and saw half a dozen Leopard IIs in dark green paintwork lounging against the starboard side of the main deck.

No pic soz. Short barrelled gun and seven road wheels,low turret with no tapering,squared off. Like this

Vessel docked in Zeebrugge before it came to us

Outbound for Shanghai and Tianjian but will undoubtedly make port at several spots en route.

Anyone know who new customer is , probably in Far East?

Just 'satiable curiosity.....

Ta

Don Cabra

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ta...see,jumping enthusiastically to the wrong conclusion unerringly yet again. :rolleyes:

Will alter thread title.

Now found some of the reporting from 2013.

Rumoured sales to Saudi as well,back then.

I seem to recall Danish Leopards deployed to AFG?

How costly is the Leopard II (designed in 1979) in comparison with chunkier Challenger II ?

Last dumb Q. - these tanks were painted uniform dark green.

Why,if going to Qatar,not sandy brown?

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I seem to recall Danish Leopards deployed to AFG?
Did not the Canadians also? I had a mate married a Hat lass same time as me about 81. Left during Options For Change, moved to Canada and not so many years ago he did a tour, badged South Alberta Light Horse immediately prior to retiring. His account might still be active here. @hat_mackem . Seems it is. I could ask him on another means.

As far as I know both germans and the dutch have allready off-loaded all of their spare old Leo2A4s (like the finnish army Leo2A4 in your picture).

Some of those were sold to Indonesia and Singapore. Maybe they were just visiting home for some repairs/upgrades?

Edit: both canadian and danish Leos would have the newer turret (from version A5 onwards), which looks qite different..

There goes the invasion plans.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Did not the Canadians also? I had a mate married a Hat lass same time as me about 81. Left during Options For Change, moved to Canada and not so many years ago he did a tour, badged South Alberta Light Horse immediately prior to retiring. His account might still be active here. @hat_mackem . Seems it is. I could ask him on another means.
The Canadians certainly deployed tanks to Afghanistan, both Leo 1 and 2:

http://www.cdfai.org.previewmysite.com/bergenarticles/Canadian tank squadrons success in Afghanistan goes untold.pdf

The Canadian Leopard 2 Tanks - TankNutDave.com

http://www.ctvnews.ca/battle-tanks-will-live-on-after-new-lease-on-life-in-afghanistan-1.659034

D

Deleted 20555

They are awfully nice looking tonks it must be said.

Pretty sure, I lived there for a number of years. But that was in the 90's. Most Armies don't change their armour on a whim. But if they've changed I'll stand corrected. Ex 2 RTR.

Tallshort

War Hero
Remember in the 90s being broken down on Hohne ranges in a chieftain AVLB (just for a change) and a was directing a German armoured column in L2s around the stricken underpowered piece of poo i was crewing and i have to say looking at one coming towards you almost gives you Tiger terror.They look very similar from the front.

Latest Threads