Leonard 'Nipper' Read

MARTOK

War Hero
Leonard 'Nipper' Read has passed away at the age of 95.

His obituary makes very interesting reading.

Chef

LE
He could not join the Nottingham police force, which then had a minimum height regulation of 6ft and in 1947 scraped into the Metropolitan police, which took men at 5ft 8in,

Nottingham's loss the Met's gain.

I bet the Krays wished it had been otherwise.

One of the items looked at during the ‘Bargain Hunt’ re-broadcast today, was a stone flagon from ‘The Blind Beggar, Mile End’.
Went in there a few times when I lived in Mile End as a student back in the mid-70s.

DTBA

War Hero
The sort of person who should be glorified, not the criminal vermin who ruined the lives of the community they festered.

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
The sort of person who should be glorified, not the criminal vermin who ruined the lives of the community they festered.
But they loved their Mum

arcticfox042

War Hero
43 Years of Police pension...... Legend

arcticfox042

War Hero
First thing I thought of when I read about his death.
Senior officers pension too.
It's the first thing I look at when I get the police pensioner magazine is the obituary page which quotes date of retirement and date of death..... some only get a few months when others get a good wack.
I went to a Hackney reunion some years ago and they had a competition for the lowest warrant number. An old boy took to the stage to claim his prize and he said to the crowd " I joined the Met straight after Lancasters in the second world war, I retired on a full pension in 65, is the Job still fucked?' Que standing ovation.........

IIRC Nipper Read boxed on a bill at the Albert Hall. On the same bill, Ron and Reg Kray were also boxing. This was before they had made their career choices in life.

Chef

LE
I think he went back to Notts as ACC though.
I bet he had the biggest shit eating grin on his face when he walked through the door on his first day in.

One of the items looked at during the ‘Bargain Hunt’ re-broadcast today, was a stone flagon from ‘The Blind Beggar, Mile End’.
Went in there a few times when I lived in Mile End as a student back in the mid-70s.
Went in there a few times in the 80s. A tribute to the art of the Formica style of decor.

Ronnie Kray had 2 pet Boa Constrictors which he called, IIRC, Read and Gerrard or it might have been nipper and Gerrard after Nipper Read and Fred Gerrard, the 2 men hunting the twins

Different world. He couldn't study past age 14 because of poverty... in 1939.
My grandad joined the RAF at the same age in 1949 for the same reason as his mum couldn’t support three kids after my great grandad was KIA in 1940.
RIP to a great man and copper

Latest Threads