Len’s Dioramas and Figures

I found this

looks like something I could have a go at. Any idea how much putting together these things take?
Dingerr 1/72 scale might be a bit fiddly for a first timer of your age. Stick with me, kids have got small hands, great for small stuff.
Personally to see if you really could get into figure modelling, I’d go for Airfix Multi-Pose figures in 1/32 scale at reasonable prices. The lads on here will be able to advise you on modern paints and glues. Hope that’s of some help.

If you can find them, I'd suggest these:

They're probably the easiest to assemble and paint because of their size of about 5 1/2" high and few components. Of these, the Boy Scout is the best to start on (just be careful removing the staff from the sprue). Henry VIII looks simple but the jewels would be a challenge to your dexterity.

I used to build and paint them then give them to my granddad as birthday presents. I got the fun and he got the job of dusting them.

You've doubtless found your own ways around your digital limitations but I'd suggest a big lump of blu tack and a Dremel would come in handy to cut the parts from the sprue, remove flashings and hold components still while you glue/paint them.

Last edited:

ACAB

LE
Many years ago one of my girlfriends thought my dog was an Old station.
Sigh,

As did I when I was younger .....

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
If you can find them, I'd suggest these:

They're probably the easiest to assemble and paint because of their size of about 5 1/2" high and few components. Of these, the Boy Scout is the best to start on (just be careful removing the staff from the sprue). Henry VIII looks simple but the jewels would be a challenge to your dexterity.

I used to build and paint them then give them to my granddad as birthday presents. I got the fun and he got the job of dusting them.

You've doubtless found your own ways around your digital limitations but I'd suggest a big lump of blu tack and a Dremel would come in handy to cut the parts from the sprue, remove flashings and hold components still while you glue/paint them.
Something like this is also useful if you're going to a do lot of detailing:

I like the fine detail of birdshit on the post.

Right to kick off, this is Dads first scratch model that I can remember. I know a couple on here don’t strictly like it. But it is part of his story.
Apart from the obvious, all kids plasticine including the base. Painted then varnished.
1318BE80-7D68-4129-ABC5-1554B9CD73D8.jpeg

Three more of his earlier model. 8th Army Airfix multi pose and the Roman is his first metal figure. No idea who made the figure.
The Titanic is the Airfix one. He made both sides, he scratched built masts and the funnel stays. One side was sold to a pub he kept the port side.
9BBB9A2F-09BF-4E60-BEC4-CE91C901B2EB.jpeg
8A729889-9A67-4493-B02D-2B942815B10D.jpeg
8E4303D6-E83B-4EC4-A553-4EA76EB40E4C.jpeg

Your Dad was a formidable artist/ model maker. You must be a proud bloke, I know I would be.
There is a massive difference between artist and someone that assembles plastic model kits and paints them.

Flats a dark art I have never mastered, unlike your old man.
There’s a friend of Dads who’s still modelling he does Flats dioramas . Using different scale flats carefully, he gets a perspective effect and if you place the diorama in a pinhole light box, it gives a 3D effect.

7C9CC452-2E97-4E97-9D4C-A222FB1544C5.jpeg

Slightly out of focus, Dad decided to see if he could produce a series of his own WW1 figures. He ultimately decided not to bother.
This is the first prototype, after he cut up the original to make the moulds. I suspect the reason he gave up on the idea, was he couldn’t face cutting up his models to make a kit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gundulph Military History and Militaria 31