Lemmy - Motorhead 1916

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Jimmy_Kranke, Nov 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure if its already been flagged up. Somebody from my regimental site highlighted it. An unusual side to Lemmy's writing skills, very apt as Nov 11th approaches

2. The lyrics (as I'm a bit of a Motorhead spotter)

1916, Motorhead

3. I think it's a great song, but that picture on that video looks like he's trying to stop his ears bleeding. Surely could have a better picture or video.

But the points not missed. Funny how things haven't changed that much when you think about it.
  4. Yea, it would be a great backing track for a tribute though. The words are very haunting.
  5. a bit of a theme for our Mr Kilmister

Marching off to war

6. Is there a link?
  7. If you want a good song with moving lyrics about going to war etc then I can recommend a friend of mine called Jack Savoretti, the videos not the best quality but you'll get the idea...

The album version is miles better and the whole album is great (No I'm not on commision)
  8. clicky

only a short piece of it I'm afraid
  9. and there is always 'March or die' and 'Bomber' as well as 'Sword of Glory' - the best (IMHO) is still 1916.
  10. Cheers OP.

This is a classic example of the music getting in the way of great lyrics.
  11. its a poor recording
  12. Jimmy, check PM's
  13. Lemmy has an anti war streak a mile wide that shows through in his music. His songwriting is fantastic and they are one of my favourite bands.

System Of A Down are another band with great anti war messages.
  14. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Love Motorhead. If Lemmy's stuff on war is good for you you might want to check out Iron Maiden's CD, A Matter of Life and Death. In particular two tracks; 'These Colours Don't Run' and 'The Longest Day.' Another Iron Maiden CD, 'Dance of Death' has a great track on it, 'Paschendale' (sic). You might also want to check out the following:
    Marillion - 'Forgotten Sons' about NI
    Guns 'n' Roses - 'Civil War'
    Faith No More - 'Paths of Glory' (FNM fans only I suggest)
    Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake CD (very heavy)
    Drive By Truckers - The Sands of Iwo Jima (which is simply outstanding)
    Megadeth - Holy Wars...The Punishment Due
    Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden (Bonus Disk CD)

Anyone else have any other suggestions ?