Leightweight Combat Jacket or is it a shirt?????

#1
For CFT's in the heat I have had an issue Lightweight Jacket (or is it a shirt!!) modified...

For me anyway, the less clothes I wear on a tab the better :lol:

So, like many people I wear the shirt... only diiference is mine has been modified with long zips under each armpit, allowing ventilation as required. Also the shirt has a drawstring bottom for keeping the heat in if it does turn chilly...

I have had several positive comments on the design and was interested in progressing with it?

Does anyone have any other mods they use and do they think there may be a market? :lol:
 
#2
For years I have been sewing a little pocket on the front of my smock / shirt to take a silva.

It is so handy as it means you don't have to go rooting arond to find it.

SASS put it on their smocks, but have made it a pen pocket.
 
#3
I have velcro on the trouser seams of all my combat clothing and my SAS smock. That way I can whip it off very quickly to reveal my "I am a Walt Loser" t-shirt. Anyway who are the best paras or marines and can I do press ups in basic without bending my arms?
 
#4
Geordie_Blerk said:
I have velcro on the trouser seams of all my combat clothing and my SAS smock. That way I can whip it off very quickly to reveal my "I am a Walt Loser" t-shirt. Anyway who are the best paras or marines and can I do press ups in basic without bending my arms?
I think if you market the "I am a Walt Loser" you'll get lot's of sales!!!! :wink:

As for Airbourne Vs Marines....? Sorry, don't care...

If it was who has the biggest ego contest.... well that's another question!
 
#5
bibo_boy said:
Geordie_Blerk said:
I have velcro on the trouser seams of all my combat clothing and my SAS smock. That way I can whip it off very quickly to reveal my "I am a Walt Loser" t-shirt. Anyway who are the best paras or marines and can I do press ups in basic without bending my arms?
I think if you market the "I am a Walt Loser" you'll get lot's of sales!!!! :wink:

As for Airbourne Vs Marines....? Sorry, don't care...

If it was who has the biggest ego contest.... well that's another question!
Read into above post - sarcasm.
 
#7
One fine day a few...alright eighteen...years ago, I took pity on my platoon and gave them permission to move to shirtsleeve order. This was in the days of the hairy mary shirt so I wasn't being that soft.

To my surprise, one of my corporals started to protest that the RSM hadn't authorised a dress change. We were miles away from the headshed and not likely to be seen so I couldn't understand why he, of all people, refused to change.

Turns out he was only wearing about 5% of his hairy mary -- namely the collar and cuffs sewn to his combat jacket -- in what he called his light sweating order.

Tit.
 
#9
bibo_boy said:
For CFT's in the heat I have had an issue Lightweight Jacket (or is it a shirt!!) modified...

So, like many people I wear the shirt... only diiference is mine has been modified with long zips under each armpit, allowing ventilation as required.
Jeezus H! If anyone turned up for a CFT like that I'd ridicule them all the way back to the block until they changed into uniform (ie clothing that is the SAME).

And how fcuking hot does it get on your CFTs? Try running aroung the streets of Basrah in body armour. Where would you put your blooody zips then?
 
#10
[quote="Interceptor"

And how fcuking hot does it get on your CFTs? Try running aroung the streets of Basrah in body armour. Where would you put your blooody zips then?[/quote]

Arktis sell millions of smocks with similar features....?

Its a matter of choice... And these are issue, people have been modding kit for years... :)

Works for me!
 
#12
Interceptor said:
Millions? Are you quite sure?
Figure of speech......

Do you agree Akrtis are a reasonably large and respected company? i.e. compared to Webtex. I take it they do alot of market research and have decided that certain features are useful?

If we all used issue kit companies such as these and SASS wouldn't exist?

All I know is I done around 20 miles boot run today and I'm doing the same tabbing tomorrow and it works for me :lol:
 
#13
stickybomb said:
Turns out he was only wearing about 5% of his hairy mary -- namely the collar and cuffs sewn to his combat jacket -- in what he called his light sweating order.
You never sowed collar and cuffs into a JHW?
 
#14
I don't know about collar & cuffs sewed in to a pully, but I knew a bloke who used to Fabsil his jumper - and it worked better than a waterproof smock! In the days of DMS boots & puttees, I machined velcro to my halfed puttees, rather than have that winding tape flapping about. That was until I found a cobbler in Carterton who used to machine-stitch leather 'tops' to DMS boots - thus adding a further four holes. Then some cnut decided that winding strips of cloth around the ankles was a tad... Victorian, and (finally) introduced Hi-Legs. Pissed on the cobbler's little party, that did. Ah... mammaries.

8O
 

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
#15
Part_Timer said:
stickybomb said:
Turns out he was only wearing about 5% of his hairy mary -- namely the collar and cuffs sewn to his combat jacket -- in what he called his light sweating order.
You never sowed collar and cuffs into a JHW?
Yes, but when watered I found they grew into a complete shirt.
 
#16
BuckFelize said:
I knew a bloke who used to Fabsil his jumper - and it worked better than a waterproof smock!
There were guys in the poachers...sorry, Recce platoon who kept Barbour in the tinned wax business for years. Only time I ever saw a platoon hairdryer!

...and no, part-timer, although I have seen people walking around with the said JHW/collar/cuffs mullarkey, I never quite saw the need to do it myself. I mean, what would The Queen say when I handed it back?
 
#17
stickybomb said:
One fine day a few...alright eighteen...years ago, I took pity on my platoon and gave them permission to move to shirtsleeve order. This was in the days of the hairy mary shirt so I wasn't being that soft.

To my surprise, one of my corporals started to protest that the RSM hadn't authorised a dress change. We were miles away from the headshed and not likely to be seen so I couldn't understand why he, of all people, refused to change.

Turns out he was only wearing about 5% of his hairy mary -- namely the collar and cuffs sewn to his combat jacket -- in what he called his light sweating order.

Tit.
HA HA used to know loads that did that in the days of Shirt, Itchy.

Normally it was wearing just a collar with his JHW.

Another funny was during a drill lessson whilst wearing combat jackets, as it was raining we moved to the garages andtold to take our jackets off. One knobber fullscrew paniced and ran to the senior ranks and the decision was reverted, why ? Becuase he had sgt stripes on his jumper in preperation for the "big day" which didn't come for some months
 
#18
stickybomb said:
BuckFelize said:
I knew a bloke who used to Fabsil his jumper - and it worked better than a waterproof smock!
There were guys in the poachers...sorry, Recce platoon who kept Barbour in the tinned wax business for years. Only time I ever saw a platoon hairdryer!

...and no, part-timer, although I have seen people walking around with the said JHW/collar/cuffs mullarkey, I never quite saw the need to do it myself. I mean, what would The Queen say when I handed it back?
I remember DPM "Barbour" jackets being very popular item for sale on The Packway, Larkhill

Those and zip up over boots :roll:
 
#20
delberto said:
as a lightweight combat jacket, shouldn't it be worn outside and not tucked in. after it ain't a shirt .... :wink:
Nope. It all depends on your Regimental/Corps Dress Policy. If the head shed decide they want it tucked in, you wear it tucked in.

I don't understand where all these folk get the information about it being worn untucked. It was designed over 10 years ago - how do you know what the designers' intention was?

I
 

Similar threads

Top