Leicester City Helicopter Crash

So to summarize after reading the preliminary report, some twat at the factory or subsequent service facility was too lazy to pick up his torque wrench.
Or that it wasn't calibrated properly.
It seems to me that the aaib have acted very quickly on this one.
Would they have been so quick out of the blocks if the owner was not a billionaire and friend of royalty?

So to summarize after reading the preliminary report, some twat at the factory or subsequent service facility was too lazy to pick up his torque wrench.
Would they have been so quick out of the blocks if the owner was not a billionaire and friend of royalty?
An AW169 being considerably smaller than a jumbo, and the debris field being a a small car park, and not a mountainside, may have had some bearing on the speed with which all the bits were collected and examined.

If they were castellated nuts they should have had a cotter pin or similar holding them on.

It seems to me that the aaib have acted very quickly on this one. Would they have been so quick out of the blocks if the owner was not a billionaire and friend of royalty?
They probably realised how close on their heels the ARSSE AAIB were... and without having the benefit of any evidence whatsoever.

They probably realised how close on their heels the ARSSE AAIB were... and without having the benefit of any evidence whatsoever.
To be fair though - the Arrse AAIB has been correct and called the correct cause long before the "experts" on Pprune have, on numerous occasions.

To be fair though - the Arrse AAIB has been correct and called the correct cause long before the "experts" on Pprune have, on numerous occasions.
I know absolutely nothing whatsoever about helicopters, how they stay in the air or how they are fixed and even I know that a chopper doing a magic roundabout impression on its own axis is suffering some kind of a tail rotor malfunction. I imagine that there are five year old girls who have managed to figure that out.

I know absolutely nothing whatsoever about helicopters, how they stay in the air or how they are fixed and even I know that a chopper doing a magic roundabout impression on its own axis is suffering some kind of a tail rotor malfunction. I imagine that there are five year old girls who have managed to figure that out.
So you ruled out gearbox failure or 'stuck left pedal' straight away as well then!
Well done, membership card is in the post :)

If they were castellated nuts they should have had a cotter pin or similar holding them on.
The report says split pin and locking wire. Seems, according to the AAIB report (fig. 6) that the remains of the split pin was found in the shaft through which the pin passed... the outer ends had sheared off.

There are no annual subscriptions involved, are there?
None whatsoever - you just need a rudimentary knowledge of aviation and - X-plane or FSX installed on your computer.
We look forward to your analysis and contributions in subsequent aviation-related events!

So you ruled out gearbox failure or 'stuck left pedal' straight away as well then!
Well done, membership card is in the post :)
Or pilot’s camera falling on the floor and jamming the yaw pedals...
Read the report- the remains of the split pin were inside the shaft, sheared off by the nut which seems to have been spun off by the seizing bearing.

Any RW pilots here: How often during maintenance schedules are bearings in critical components checked?
Is this likely something that has developed over time and should have been 'picked up' or- just sh1t luck?

.....I expect there may be someone somewhere responsible however I do feel for all those involved with the aircraft who have probably been very diligent and are totally innocent engineers/managers and probably having another awful rough night pending another horrible paper chase day at the office being questioned and working through maintenance programmes and sign off sheets. There but for the grace of ... go many of us in our many and varied walks of work life.