Leicester City Helicopter Crash

I wonder why they thought heading-off downwind was such a great idea?
Just had a look at the overhead photo on the BBC. Looks like they selected the least built up area to depart over. These new machines are quite high-powered so maybe they allow a greater degree of flexibility regarding the wind direction.
OK. Now we have the video is there a chance that as it was downwind (with the effective airflow moving from the back to the front of the aircraft), the aircraft experienced loss of tail rotor effectiveness and started to yaw at a rate that could not be contained by the pilot.

This has been a factor in a few Gazelle incidents and also a fatal North Sea Puma incident. 2/1993 AS 332L Super Puma, G-TIGH, 14 March 1992

This is pure speculation on my part.

I was told that it's almost compulsory in Thailand for men of a certain status ('Hi So') to have a 'Mia Noi' or 'minor wife. There are even rules of etiquette for the process: if you buy your mia noi a silver necklace, you must buy your wife a gold one etc. Thai wives don't like it but they tolerate it as long as its discreet. Hence giving her a job title.

And yes of course I would have...
Sometimes more than one, so my wife tells me. We have played 'spot the mia noi' when out at night in Bangkok. If you bought silver for a mia of any status, you would, as @endure mentions, be shopping around for a penis reattachment. Always gold, even for girlfriends.

A few years ago I contacted the AAIB in connection with a planning application involving the reactivation of an airfield. My question was how many members of the public have been killed in off airfield accidents involving light aircraft in the last 25 years. The answer was zero. The risk to the general population from light aircraft is negligable.

CAA involvement in aircraft maintenance standards has been non existant for years yet our accident record is good. I went into my local maintenance shop a couple of weeks ago and asked how often they saw a surveyor these days.
I was told that the last audit was an emergency one as they CAA couldn't renew their maintenance approval as they hadn't been audited for three years.
The truth is that maintenance standards are held up by the certifying licensed engineers not the CAA.
Same in these parts. Got rid of the old experienced maintenance inspectors and replaced them with followers of the new dispensation who were rushed through a quick tech course then given the power of life and death over AMOs. This has resulted in a blizzard of new paperwork, mainly arse covering and self serving to justify their existence.

God help you if the boxes aren't ticked and the form isn't signed in triplicate but they're utterly lost and unable to tell you what they're looking at if you show them something on the shop floor. Asking them for advice to make things safer/work better (which should be their primary function) is a waste of time as their new primary function is to try to screw fines and fees out of AMOs by catching them out on some paperwork glitch. Totally unfit for purpose which means the industry in SA is largely self regulating while trying to dodge the shit thrown at them by a supposedly autonomous organisation.

The autonomy was granted by govt in order for the agency to generate revenue but it still appoints directors and such along political lines. Handy little swerve to avoid handing over taxpayer funds that are better suited to lining pockets and purchasing new Mercedes Benz while filling yet another seat at the gravy trough.

Last edited:
OK. Now we have the video is there a chance that as it was downwind (with the effective airflow moving from the back to the front of the aircraft), the aircraft experienced loss of tail rotor effectiveness and started to yaw at a rate that could not be contained by the pilot.

This has been a factor in a few Gazelle incidents and also a fatal North Sea Puma incident. 2/1993 AS 332L Super Puma, G-TIGH, 14 March 1992

This is pure speculation on my part.
LTE came to mind here, too.

Last edited:
Helicopter 'did not respond' to pilot's turn

After taking off, the helicopter "entered an increasing right yaw contrary to the pilot's left pedal command".
Yaw is the ability of a vehicle to rotate from left to right.

It reached an estimated height of 430ft (121.9m) before it descended and crashed in an "approximately upright position".

The AAIB also said it had no evidence to suggest interference or the involvement of a drone at this stage.

Helicopter 'did not respond' to pilot's turn

After taking off, the helicopter "entered an increasing right yaw contrary to the pilot's left pedal command".
Yaw is the ability of a vehicle to rotate from left to right.

It reached an estimated height of 430ft (121.9m) before it descended and crashed in an "approximately upright position".

The AAIB also said it had no evidence to suggest interference or the involvement of a drone at this stage.
Interim report:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5bebe118e5274a083e73dc27/S1-2018_G-VSKP.pdf

Why would a tailwind affect the tail rotor’s effectiveness? It generates thrust at right angles to the longitudinal axis of the aircraft. Genuine question - I have very limited knowledge of helicopter flight/operations.

Why would a tailwind affect the tail rotor’s effectiveness? It generates thrust at right angles to the longitudinal axis of the aircraft. Genuine question - I have very limited knowledge of helicopter flight/operations.
You can run out of tail rotor thrust in very high winds , you can only give so much pitch to the tail rotor blades and if thats not enough the hull will start to turn , I`ve only known it once , out in the Mojave , was flying sideways , nothing to hit out there.

Edit- This explains it better than me LTE

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Pedals disconnected from tail rotor mechanism.

From my gliding days, actuating rods were always bolted and the castle nuts wired in place.

Pre-flight involved checking all actuating rod connections via the inspection ports.