Legs amputated, brain injury - and a cheque for £152,000

This makes me spit blood. Compare and contrast THIS CASE with the compensation paid to that crab secretary with RSI.
I appreciate the comment that he 'would also qualify for lifetime 'guaranteed income' amounting to about 90 per cent of his salary, or nearly £20,000 annually', but surely this will not cover everything he and his parents are going through, and will have to go through.
That secretary can re-role, pull down a reasonably good salary and still enjoy life. This family, like too many others, is facing severe difficulties for the rest of their days.

You've beaten me to it, I've just arrived at my desk with my observer under my arm to alert everyone to it. Made my blood boil how he was treated. As the Observer points out they've used his story not because its an isolated case but as a specific example of how numerous other people have been shamefully treated by the MOD.

Fair play to the Observer, you dont normally expect an article from them that totally and unequivocally supports our armed forces but today they've done a fantastic job with the that one and the one about 1st Royal Anglian which I'm going to start a thread about in a second.

cheers

David

The money, I can tell you is not the issue you need to discuss.
My cheque arrived one day , I looked at it for a while and then banked it . what could have been better that that ?
It needs some one to come along and say "I'm here to help,call me any time , what do you need doing ,I can advise you, I can put you in contact with ...." thats what, a lot of help I have had cost very little or nothing at all, just knowing where to turn , who to ask.

WW

wheelchairwarrier said:
My cheque arrived one day , I looked at it for a while and then banked it . what could have been better that that ?
It needs some one to come along and say "I'm here to help,call me any time , what do you need doing ,I can advise you, I can put you in contact with ...." thats what, a lot of help I have had cost very little or nothing at all, just knowing where to turn , who to ask.

WW

Nail on head, WW.

Time and again the MOD fails to recognise the need for proper support, abrogating their responsibility to charities. Whilst they mostly do a good job, it is with scarce resources, and should be centrally organised and funded.

WW

Thanks for that mate...... I sell policies, and alot of the time I try to get my clients the most returns for the smallest investment / monthly outlay...

Your post has made me think about something other than the financial aspects of a claim.....

Perhaps its worth someone talking to the cover providers, in order they provide something other than monetry security?

Trackpen said:
This makes me spit blood. Compare and contrast THIS CASE with the compensation paid to that crab secretary with RSI.
I appreciate the comment that he 'would also qualify for lifetime 'guaranteed income' amounting to about 90 per cent of his salary, or nearly £20,000 annually', but surely this will not cover everything he and his parents are going through, and will have to go through.
That secretary can re-role, pull down a reasonably good salary and still enjoy life. This family, like too many others, is facing severe difficulties for the rest of their days.
:evil: My father lost an eye in WW1 got 26 shillings per week, nothing changes for brave serviceman, Politicians keep robbing the country by awarding themselves bigger allowances salaries and perks. Scumbags all of them. :x :x :x Daily Express has an article on Prescot waste of money on lavish spending on, good times and no job, still gets so they say 165,000 pound per year now and no job :x prime example.

minister_doh_nut said:
WW

Thanks for that mate...... I sell policies, and alot of the time I try to get my clients the most returns for the smallest investment / monthly outlay...

Your post has made me think about something other than the financial aspects of a claim.....

Perhaps its worth someone talking to the cover providers, in order they provide something other than monetry security?
Thats a good point - they would probably be up for it, in cold terms because it would be a very good long term reputation builder, very marketable.

wheelchairwarrier said:

WW
THANKYOU WCW

I might be being really thick here, but is there a specific charity to help disabled ex-servicemen? I know there's Combat Stress for those with PTSD, and the RBL do a lot - but do they have a specific branch for helping and advising in this field?

Sickening. And they wonder why people aren't joining up these days. The money should come out of the pension pot of the corrupt bastards that sent him there, especially when you think that they are all claiming a million each in expenses every year.

Not bad considering I read that it cost approx £10000 per day to keep the scubag who tried to blow up Glasgow airport alive for 30 days. Bit of a difference there.
They will spend the money if you are an enemy of the state.....

Trackpen said:
Is there no-one with a brain or a shred of common decency anywhere in the CoC or Government?

Once again I am outraged at the way service personnel and expersonnel are treated.

It is a NATIONAL disgrace.

Wyvern said:
I might be being really thick here, but is there a specific charity to help disabled ex-servicemen? I know there's Combat Stress for those with PTSD, and the RBL do a lot - but do they have a specific branch for helping and advising in this field?
BLESMA and St Dunstan’s are Forces-specific, and I believe that the Leonard Cheshire organisation also helps out, though it's not Forces-specific.

Makes me puke, what about the hundreds of millions of pounds spent on Asylum centres, and terrorists who hijack planes, they've all got playstation and laptops in their cushy little cells. Also what about all the fat ministers that get their heads down in Westminster for thousands and thousands a year. Somethings got to give soon, or we'll collapse!

The MoD letter informing him of the decision said: 'You will receive a tax-free lump sum payment of £152,150.00 as a final award under the scheme... This award includes compensation for any lasting disablement; it also takes account of the fact your conditions may get worse over time.'

This does not surprise me about the amount of money they have awarded Ben . Also every disabled person i know in this country is not treated with the right respect they deserve whether they are military or civilian .

Ben the best advise i can give you is to buy the bungalow you need for your needs , Spend all your money and use the additional money you receive from the mod to pay for any other other money you owe on the mortgage or adaptations you need , That means you have no income ,So our wounderful people who did not give you enough money to have a standard way of living like everyone else will have to give you additional benefits by law to live a normal life as possible . What ever you do ,Do not live with your parents as you wont receive any help what so ever.

It makes you wonder why the youngsters still want to join up in the services.I for one will never ever encourage anyone to join up whether it be Navy, Army or Air Force.What sort of people would now volunteer to go and fight politicians wars around the globe and get treated like utter shit when they get wounded or seriously maimed.

It's a disgrace. However, what can individual members of the public do about it? After the success of 36GL I would have thought that there would be plenty of people willing to publicly show their support if it could be organised. A support the troops march? It seems to me that the only way to get progress is to publically shame those that are responisble (and that's a sad reflection on the state of affairs that is UK government today).

Is there a powerful body that can lobby government on behalf of ex-servicemen and the injured?

I wish that all the men and women who have been injured in Bliar's follies could have turned up at 10 downing street to make the public aware and be thanked personally for their sacrifice on his last day in office. :x