Legroom in the back.

I may be crazy (OK, it's not in doubt), but I've been pretty happy with the Renault Mégane I've been running for the last 6 years, cheap to tax, good mpg, lots of bells and whistles. Only downside, as the sprog grows, is a lack of legroom in the back. At 5"11" I'm no lanky git, but by the time I'm in a decent driving position, there's less legroom in the back than Ryanair. And if the Mrs drives her mum, and I have to sit in there, I have to wedge my thigh bones in diagonally.
I'm thinking of buying a banger as a second car but want something with space in the back without paying stupid road tax. So, what's got legroom in the back? (Dinger need not post).

964ST

War Hero
I bought an old 1997 BMW 528i e39 saloon, and I must say it is a very good car for both pax and driver. The rear seats are really spacious.

And if the Mrs drives her mum, and I have to sit in there, I have to wedge my thigh bones in diagonally.
You openly admit to be driven around by your wife, by god sir, you do realise that statement excludes you from the club, and your membership of Spearmint rhino will be revoked. The mess webley has been laid out for your use on the mess table. Your accouterments will be forwarded to your next of kin....hurummph..cough cough!

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer

1615238474034.png

You openly admit to be driven around by your wife, by god sir, you do realise that statement excludes you from the club, and your membership of Spearmint rhino will be revoked. The mess webley has been laid out for your use on the mess table. Your accouterments will be forwarded to your next of kin....hurummph..cough cough!
The more I read your posts the more you sound like my dad.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Good call josh, really i mean it. 8 of my family on my fathers and mothers side were london cabby's An ideal vehicle for the longer of leg types.
I have owned about 5 or more of them
several Austins, a couple of carbodies, a westminster, and a Beardmore
two of them are still trundling about, one in the US of A, one in Canada

Last edited:
I may be crazy (OK, it's not in doubt), but I've been pretty happy with the Renault Mégane I've been running for the last 6 years, cheap to tax, good mpg, lots of bells and whistles. Only downside, as the sprog grows, is a lack of legroom in the back. At 5"11" I'm no lanky git, but by the time I'm in a decent driving position, there's less legroom in the back than Ryanair. And if the Mrs drives her mum, and I have to sit in there, I have to wedge my thigh bones in diagonally.
I'm thinking of buying a banger as a second car but want something with space in the back without paying stupid road tax. So, what's got legroom in the back? (Dinger need not post).
Not sure how far your budget would stretch for a "banger" . . . but, there must now be some used examples of this available . . .

"I was immediately smitten by its shape, compactness and unique packaging (I remember sitting in the back on the show stand, amazed at the space) . . . .

We are fairly big people, too, so the fact that my 6ft 3in second son could comfortably fit in the back – and without demanding space from me as the driver – seemed amazing . . .

The wide-opening doors and high hip-point also made this the perfect car for taking granny to hospital for her first Covid jab: she could get easily in and be comfortable . . .

1615286657423.png

Our family has a love of tall cars for another . . . from a driving position that allows you to see over stone walls. The Suzuki instantly proved perfect for that.

Suzuki calls the Ignis a city car, but I ended up doing something like 4500 miles in three months, many on enjoyable B-roads taken as briskly as was comfortable for the car, and quite a few on motorways. The ride is decent, too: not too firm and but well damped, although hardly sophisticated.

1615286773171.png

The seats are pretty flat, but their sit-up-and-beg positioning makes them as comfortable as much pricier cars for up to three hours at a time.

I’ve banged on so much over the years about wanting to own the cars I’ve enjoyed that it has become a cliché. So I’m not going to do it this time. Let’s just say that for us, the Ignis was far greater than the sum of its parts. It’s one of those cars you grab with ease, even fall into, because it fits any driver, passenger or parking space and happily attacks any chore. Bottom line: we continue to miss it – and there’s a Suzuki dealer in our town".

Another vote for Skoda Superb. Use them in work. Decent to drive, reliable, easily maintained and acres of space. Ours are driven almost 24/7, packed with kit and normally three of us loaded in too. I’m 6ft and can happily stretch my legs out straight in the back. A few of my colleagues are taller again and have plenty of leg room. Some of the ones we use are 10 year old + with massive miles on them. They just keep going. You’ll pick up an older model for relative peanuts.

Well, if it was good enough for HRH the Greek, and Stephen Fry...
Keep the hatch behind you closed, don’t want no back seat driver. Plenty of leg room, no road tax or MOT and no road arguments.View attachment 555757
Well, it might avoid worries if I have to park on the street, but it's probably a bit thirsty when you are buying the fuel yourself.
I bought an old 1997 BMW 528i e39 saloon, and I must say it is a very good car for both pax and driver. The rear seats are really spacious.
Nice, but what's the road tax?

Not sure how far your budget would stretch for a "banger" . . . but, there must now be some used examples of this available . . .

"I was immediately smitten by its shape, compactness and unique packaging (I remember sitting in the back on the show stand, amazed at the space) . . . .

We are fairly big people, too, so the fact that my 6ft 3in second son could comfortably fit in the back – and without demanding space from me as the driver – seemed amazing . . .

The wide-opening doors and high hip-point also made this the perfect car for taking granny to hospital for her first Covid jab: she could get easily in and be comfortable . . .

View attachment 555763

Our family has a love of tall cars for another . . . from a driving position that allows you to see over stone walls. The Suzuki instantly proved perfect for that.

Suzuki calls the Ignis a city car, but I ended up doing something like 4500 miles in three months, many on enjoyable B-roads taken as briskly as was comfortable for the car, and quite a few on motorways. The ride is decent, too: not too firm and but well damped, although hardly sophisticated.

View attachment 555766

The seats are pretty flat, but their sit-up-and-beg positioning makes them as comfortable as much pricier cars for up to three hours at a time.

I’ve banged on so much over the years about wanting to own the cars I’ve enjoyed that it has become a cliché. So I’m not going to do it this time. Let’s just say that for us, the Ignis was far greater than the sum of its parts. It’s one of those cars you grab with ease, even fall into, because it fits any driver, passenger or parking space and happily attacks any chore. Bottom line: we continue to miss it – and there’s a Suzuki dealer in our town".

That actually might be a good shout, I'll add it to my searches.

Ford Transit truck. Bung a folding chair in the back. Upsides...

• complete isolation from wife (driving) and mother in law (leading the nagging)
  • tip runs
  • no tax,MoT or insurance needed. Runs on red diesel.
Hope that helps.

Latest Threads