Legit Graduate Research Questions on Perceptions in HMF

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by peedie_buddo, Jun 27, 2006.

?
  1. Family member in the Army

22.5%
  2. Financial reasons

3.1%
  3. Wanted an exciting day job

37.2%
  4. Couldn't think of anything else to do

11.0%
  5. Wanted to travel

8.4%
  6. Other (please give details)

17.8%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, my name is Lucy. :)

I'm a graduate student at Glasgow University studying War Studies. As part of my studies, I have to complete a dissertation. 8O I have chosen as my subject The British Army and Self-Propagation/Self-Perception. I would like to find out, in other words, the extent to which members of the army view the military as seperate from society as a whole, and what proportion of the army is made up from the children of those already in service. :? And, I would like you to be my fountains of knowledge!! 8)

I would like to emphasise that these questions are not focused on anything operational or of a sensitive nature, but rather it will consider the idea that membership of the Army may run in families; the influences which encourage troops to join; and the civil-military gap that may or may not exist in British society. It is inspired by similar work carried out in the U.S. by P. Feaver.

Please, please, please, please help me!!!!! :lol: The more detailed the answer the better, but I'll take anything!

As a member/former member of the army, do you have relatives who are in/have been in the Army?
    (Who - father, grandmother, brother, etc; when, which service, etc.)

What/who encouraged you to join the Army?

How would you feel/react if another member of your family (eg. sibling/child) wanted to join the forces?

To what extent do you believe that the military is separate from British society at large? Is this a positive thing for the Army, and for society?

Thanks in advance!
    Lu

2. Well, maybe relevant...

Im joining soon, as a soldier, due to my dads influence. He's an officer in the AAC, whereas i'm hoping to get on the March Intake for REME blackies (Air Techs). He's been a major influence on my choice to join, although he's slightly annoyed at me joining as a soldier and not an officer. :lol:

3. Dad soldier, Mum soldier, nice uniform, wonderful food, comfy surroundings, reasonable instructors, nobody shouts, my kids; would tell them not to, they are too pretty to be modern day female soldiers; it is seperate in that those in the army are soldiers and those who are not aren't...innit? and that's good coz if we were all soldiers then there would be no students and pilots and chefs and farmers and dustbin men and doctors, and if we were all students and pilots and chefs and farmers and dustbin men or doctors, then there would be no soldiers and that wouldn't be good coz then the baddies would invade and turn us all into Germans, and if we were all German then we would all want to be soldiers and that wouldnt be good coz, yet again there would be no students and pilots and chefs and farmers and dustbin men or doctors either, and then things really would be in a mess ( if we were all sojahs I mean )

4. As with Army-Hopeful this isn't strictly relevant but you never know.

I'm hoping to gain a commission in the army. Neither of my parents were in. However, providing you ignore the fact that my mother wasn't in, the last four generations of men on her side have been in (from my grandfather backwards). Being my only living family member having served, I did speak with my grandfather about my plans. He was himself, a Sgt in the Gaurds Armoured Division and was awarded an oak leaf. He told me that the six years that he served were the best years of his life (he may have just been comparing it to the next 50 years of his life which he has spent married :roll: ). That actually stiffened my resolve to get my commission and by like my grandfather.

My mother however is not so keen on the idea. What with Iraq and now Afganistan, my mother feels that it may be a little too dangerous. She is not, however, actively discouraging me from the idea, and is keen to support me in whatever I choose to do.

Good luck with the dissertation.

5. 1) M+D both ex RAF (70's), Bro just joined TA Cousins and Uncles Navy (cousins still in uncles out) G/dad Argyle S Highlanders during WWII

2)Military family anyway but was also swayed as an Army cadet by my instructors some of which were ex regs from different regiments

3)Crack on, although I do think things are getting easier for them now in that they are now being simply trained not selected by a bunch of guys with their hands tied behind their backs in case they hurt someones feelings or heaven forbid their human rights??

4) Soldiers (Esp british ones) are the finest race of people to walk the face of this earth!! They have honour, integrity, most are willing to go the extra mile, senses of humour in fact most things civvies do not!! I do f*cking hate civvies, bunch of chav w*ankers half of them! Esp some UOTC ones!

Hope this helps

6. Keep it clean and keep it relevant please. If not, don't post - it will be deleted...

7. Firstly, Lucy and Moderator.....my apologies fir the language. You are trying to work, let me re-phrase Q4

4)Soldiers (Esp british ones) are the finest race of people to walk the face of this earth!! They have honour, integrity, most are willing to go the extra mile, senses of humour in fact most things civvies do not!! I think soldires/services have to be a cut above civvies to get the job done, with such pride and professionalism in most cases!

Hope it helps

8. it was six years in the army
    or six years bumming around the streets with a bunch of druged up d**ks I thought were my mates!!!!!!

my god I have only just seen the irony in that

9. Father (RAF PTI), Brother (RAF PTI), joined cause it was what I had always wanted to do. No encouragement needed. If anyone in my family wanted to join, no problems. Military versus Society..... Society unfortunately degenerated into a complete mess. At least the military are still trying to keep a handle on problems. Bad thing is, nowadays, society cant handle the military, far too many tree huggers, anti-war, nutters poncing around.

10. Dad and a couple of uncles were in the forces and then the grandfathers obviously. Spent all my pre packed away to bording school life following my parents around various postings. Joined up coz I wanted all the cushty postings too, No bloody chance.

Anyone and everyone as it was good crack to get life experience and I have been out for 6 years after getting mightlily miffed with it all.

Crack on. You can only learn from your own experiences.

Massive difference between civvi and the green way of life. Most people have only been out of their cities for stag doo's and holidays and think that you know smithy from manchester coz he is in too.
    There is a difference in that most if not all those serving (and ex) just want to get the job done and knock off while civvi's want to drag it out as much as possible.
    Our guys and girls out and about are doing a great job deemed necessary by those politicians that the general populous has voted in. This same general populous then shout and bawl about the job that they are doing. YOU VOTED THEM IN PEOPLE.

11. I think those marking your dissertation will feel that the approach is flawed.

By going back to the grandfather bit you hit the National Service generation - over 50% of us are likely to have had grandfathers who served in HM Forces by virtue of compulsory conscription.

My old man was in the RAF but left before I started school.

I joined looking for a bit of excitement, I wanted to go to Northern Ireland - (and did several times).

I would have no problem with my children joining but not to make a full time career out of it. 3 years to get their boots dirty but after that the terms and conditions of service have been eroded so much that I really could no longer recommend it as a complete career.

The military is now completely seperate from the community. The disapearance of National Service and the requirement not to wear uniform in public because of the terrorist threat has largely removed us from the public phsyche. As a result the lies and half truths concerning our behaviour that appear in the media now form the basis of public perception.

12. As a member/former member of the army, do you have relatives who are in/have been in the Army?
    My father and both grandfathers were soldiers. My uncles were all Gunners too. My father was RAF aircrew but was wounded and remustered into the RSF (from Bomber Command to the Infantry, frying pan/fire?) and my grandfather on that side was RFA attached RFC. My mother's father was BW, a regular unlike the others who were all war service only.

What/who encouraged you to join the Army?
    Nobody. In fact it was exactly the opposite. The only person who said "come inside you silly bugger come inside" was the Army itself. I first conceived the intention when I was fourteen and really wanted to join as a Junior. My parents wouldn't consent dso I waited until I was "all grown up" and then joined as an officer. I was a cadet at school and also in the TA (Infantry) so I was Army-barmy from an early age.

How would you feel/react if another member of your family (eg. sibling/child) wanted to join the forces?
    I would be very torn. I served from 171/2 to 43 and reached O5 rank. I still feel the Army is a great institution and it has held on to much of its ethos where other public institutions are hell-bent on throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I am afraid to say I would not be happy if my son or nephew joined up because I feel the Army is being abused by the government in terms of equipment, development and operational overstretch and I am also disappointed by the careerist buggers who are running it. I still feel angry about two of the SO2s G3 I served under as an SO3 - they were playing career games rather than doing the job. It was a bloody nightmare and thank the lord the two COSs were as downy birds as they come - both since promoted to General rank. Sadly the SO2s will make at least one-star rank but I would not trust them in the same way as I trusted my commanders in the past. The likes of Rupert Smith, John McColl, Peter Inge are not coming through into the top echelons any more.

To what extent do you believe that the military is separate from British society at large? Is this a positive thing for the Army, and for society?
    Totally separate! People in the Army talk about coming out - not going back in! The culture is quite different and behaviour norms and styles vary almost 100%. It is positive in as much as it reflects a strong esprit de corps but obviously the separation permits perceptions to grow of differences and reduce sympathy for the soldier amongst the general civil population. Kipling's Absent Minded Beggar is still very much the case a hundred years on. You maybe ought to pick a quote from that as your starting papragraph for your dissertation, with which, good luck Lucy.

13. Q1: Both Father and G/Father served in Army (GF in WW2). Always had an idea that I would join, and did so post A levels.
    Q2: No encouragement, but father did try and insist that I gained a trade from serving, for civvie street after 22.
    Q3: Would feel apprehensive of children joining, but would not be able to stop them. Would only pass on advice given by father of gaining relevant quals.
    Q4: The Army and the remainder of the Armed Forces is seperate from society, (just look at the AA9155, and the offences that we can be punished for) and rightly so. THe majority of society no longer has the ethos' (ethi?) that has been passed down to us. My impression of civilain society is money, status, celebrity centric group of individuals who no longer posses any moral courage to do what is right. Harsh? At the moment this seperation should be retained, and we are all the better for it.

14. Grandfarthers (RAF), Father (Army/Navy), Brothers (Army/Navy).

Wanted to continue the tradition, Enjoyed every minute of my time. Still feel that I would recommend the forces to anyone who asks (still looking through rose tinted glasses). As I don't have children to follow on and my nieces and nephews show no interest, ours will be the last direct generation to serve.

Civilian and Military, the difference can be put down to three basic things. A) Personal discipline, b) Integrity and c) Comradeship under stress. Without these we would be civilians in uniform. Of course there are the odd bad apple but the majority will look after there friends, their environment and themselves, normally in that order whereas civilians tend towards Me, Me, Me, not all but an awful lot.

Hope I haven’t offended

JJ

15. Apart from the service in the world wars no real family connection to the services .Always wanted to join since an early age .Tried the regulars when 17 was did n't get in (was unfit and immature ) joined the ta when I was 20 .Proud to wear the uniform certainly encourage
    anyone who was thinking of a service career and would be proud if my daughter decided to join up.