Legit flying? Or showing off

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by batus_survivor, Jan 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wondering if there are any AAC who would like to comment on this bit of flying by the Yanks:

Apache Stunt Show ...

Legitimate flying practice? Simply showing off? Iffy safety?

Edited to add:
    To be fair he's got nothing on this guy!
    Helicopter or Lawnmower?

2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I take it you don't know about the "Blue Eagles"

3. Context is King - elegant and intricate flying for the purposes of an air display or as part of aircrew training is one thing. Taking a cabby up and down an airfield in an operational theatre is surely another thing entirely?

4. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

A demonstration of the use of the Anti torque tail rotor in turning the aircraft, in the relatively safe confines of an airfield, I've seen pilots do a lot worse to impress some bird they had spotted on a beach sun bathing

5. Where's Flash when you need him? A demonstration of the tail rotor? How utterly thrilling...

6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Hardly stunts is it? I've seen Lynx pilots wanging the things around like they were fighter jets, banking well over 90 degrees just for a laugh. And in an operational environment too.

It just looks like the Apache pilot is just a bit shit at hovering. Come round to my house and I'll show you an almost identical 'stunt show' with the remote control M*A*S*H helicopter I got for Christmas.

My show will be better though because the helicopter will crash into the ceiling and break and there will be a schizophrenic cat running around in terror.

• Like Like x 2
  7. See - I knew I could rely on you guys to put me back on the straight and narrow. The title of "Stunt show" is probably what put me on the wrong direction, and I certainly didn't call it that, the original poster did.
    I completely withdraw any slur on the pilot.

8. Sod the real wirly taxis, where did you get a R/C M*A*S*H helicopter?

9. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Little model shop in Camden Town. I can't find their website but this place sells them:

EF MASH Army Rescue Chopper RC Helicopter

It's awesome. Hard as **** to learn to fly properly though. If you get one, tie it to a brick while you are learning to hover.

[​IMG]

10. Scope for an ARRSE R/C heli display team?

11. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

You cheeky Tw@t, how dare you call the Mighty Agusta/Westland/Bell 47/H13 G4 AH1 Sioux a MASH helicopter, it was the mount of the Cavalry air squadrons and did sterling service in Aden,Borneo,Northern Ireland

Attached Files:

12. It's not going to draw the crowds if you think that pedal turns are stunts. :)

13. I didn't name that video - the guy who filmed it did :)

Anyway, from small acorns etc...
    Imagine a mass fly past of M*A*S*H - sorry I mean "Mighty Agusta/Westland/Bell 47/H13 G4 AH1 Sioux" - toy helicopters.

14. The way this country's heading..................