Legit flying? Or showing off

Context is King - elegant and intricate flying for the purposes of an air display or as part of aircrew training is one thing. Taking a cabby up and down an airfield in an operational theatre is surely another thing entirely?

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
A demonstration of the use of the Anti torque tail rotor in turning the aircraft, in the relatively safe confines of an airfield, I've seen pilots do a lot worse to impress some bird they had spotted on a beach sun bathing

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hardly stunts is it? I've seen Lynx pilots wanging the things around like they were fighter jets, banking well over 90 degrees just for a laugh. And in an operational environment too.

It just looks like the Apache pilot is just a bit shit at hovering. Come round to my house and I'll show you an almost identical 'stunt show' with the remote control M*A*S*H helicopter I got for Christmas.

My show will be better though because the helicopter will crash into the ceiling and break and there will be a schizophrenic cat running around in terror.

See - I knew I could rely on you guys to put me back on the straight and narrow. The title of "Stunt show" is probably what put me on the wrong direction, and I certainly didn't call it that, the original poster did.
I completely withdraw any slur on the pilot.

Hardly stunts is it? I've seen Lynx pilots wanging the things around like they were fighter jets, banking well over 90 degrees just for a laugh. And in an operational environment too.

It just looks like the Apache pilot is just a bit shit at hovering. Come round to my house and I'll show you an almost identical 'stunt show' with the remote control M*A*S*H helicopter I got for Christmas.

My show will be better though because the helicopter will crash into the ceiling and break and there will be a schizophrenic cat running around in terror.
Sod the real wirly taxis, where did you get a R/C M*A*S*H helicopter?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sod the real wirly taxis, where did you get a R/C M*A*S*H helicopter?
Little model shop in Camden Town. I can't find their website but this place sells them:

EF MASH Army Rescue Chopper RC Helicopter

It's awesome. Hard as **** to learn to fly properly though. If you get one, tie it to a brick while you are learning to hover.

It's not going to draw the crowds if you think that pedal turns are stunts. :)
I didn't name that video - the guy who filmed it did :)

Anyway, from small acorns etc...
Imagine a mass fly past of M*A*S*H - sorry I mean "Mighty Agusta/Westland/Bell 47/H13 G4 AH1 Sioux" - toy helicopters.

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
When we tried "Tent pegging" and " Heli Polo" now that was f@cking stupid and dangerous, but the crowd at Wolfenbuttle families/open day loved it

I can't post the link as I'm at work but anyone remember the French pilot in the Puma flying through a camp a couple of meters off the ground? Its on YouTube and did the rounds on here a while back. Scary as fcuk.

Edited to add: its called low flying helicopter funnily enough.