Legionella bug found in barracks

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Drone_pilot, Feb 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Traces of the Legionella bug have been found at an army barracks used
    by troops guarding Buckingham Palace.

A "tiny amount" of the bacteria was detected in the air conditioning system in
    the officers' mess at the Wellington Barracks during maintenance work.

BBC Read More

2. Non-story.

3. This kills people. It arises when plant maintainance is not properly carried out.
    That is why this is not a non-story.

4. Absolutely.

Legionella is in the mains water, in puddles, in the plumbing systems, in the palace pond, just about everywhere in tiny amounts.

It only becomes a problem if the water is tepid and stagnant and it can proliferate into large quantities, the water is atomised AND someone inhales the water. Anyone who neglects the chemical water treatment of a wet cooling tower nowadays deserves everthing the HSE can find to throw at them.

You'd hope a journalist would know better. Especially the BBC, who had an embarrassment with legionella a few years ago.

5. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the maintainence WAS carried out, in the course of which they found a tiny amount of the bug. It was detected and destroyed in a routine check. No-one was ever in danger.

6. The hot water in the Officers' Mess in Grantham has been off for nearly a year due to legionares disease. The solution?

Put a kettle in each room.

Top.

And this place isn't just for TA RLC. They're running BOWMAN conversion courses from here.

7. This sounds like the same barracks where chairs have been removed from dormitories on health and safety grounds, just in case someone should attempt to use the chair to get to their ladderless top bunk?

8. 'Legionella', you don't mean that french stripper who does the soldier-o-gram routine do you?
    My mates set me up with her once. She climbed all over me and tried to sit on my face. I wouldn't have minded but my mates had got the dates wrong.
    It wasn't at my stag night but my parents silver wedding aniversary dinner.