• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Legion Of Frontiersmen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
londonirish said:
There are Muslims in Ireland?

Feck.

God save all here.
Yes - apparently in the Republic there's almost as many Muslims as there are Protestants. There's at least two mosques in Dublin - a Sunni one near where I live (a large building no doubt paid for by Saudi Wahhabist nutballs out of their oil cash) and a more modest building elsewhere for the Shites.

londonirish said:
Maybe another time. I'm not sure I'd fit in, what with being racially White Irish and religiously High Church of Ireland.

Perhaps me and my auld Ma, herself a Dubliner, could form our own "culture"?

If there's any money in it, I mean.
:lol:

glad to say your "culture" is alive and well in this part of the world - RCs and Prods mix fairly promiscuously in South County Dublin, don't really go for the sectarian thing like they do up North :wink:

londonirish said:
Anyway, back to the LOF......

I didn't mean to railroad this important quirk, but I was busy raising children.

The LoF. ...They're ok, aren't they?

Or not?

Discuss.........
In Ireland our military fanatasists/army dress up clubs can come in a far more sinister balaklava-ed form so compared to that they look fairly harmless.

The time has come to confess! When our "Dear Leader" could not find WMDs in Iraq I was at a loose end. But who should come to my rescue, Baron Shortarrse. With his careful guidance I have not looked back;

http://freepages.nostalgia.rootsweb.com/~heraldicimages/Royal.jpg

http://freepages.nostalgia.rootsweb.com/~heraldicimages/eltonjohn.jpg

http://freepages.nostalgia.rootsweb.com/~heraldicimages/ricky.jpg

http://freepages.nostalgia.rootsweb.com/~heraldicimages/romanov.jpg

By standing near someone famous and having your photograph taken, you too can look important.

At the risk of needing a life, I have now read through the vast majority of the 233 pages of this particular thread. Accepting that further material may sap the will to live of some, I put forward my thoughts;

The Legion of Frontiersmen was one of the last manifestations of the “Gentleman Adventurer”. The sort of chaps who, AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE, quite happily did their best to thwart the plans of Britain’s rivals (the Hun, the French, the Russians, uppity natives etc) and where possible paint some more of the globe a reassuring pink.

World War One put a halt to all that. Firstly, the war had cut huge swathes through the ranks of the next generation of “adventurer”. Secondly, the rules changed and the world “grew up”. The League of Nations, fore runner of the UN, set down a code of behaviour for nation states. The scope of a little “independent action” was severely limited with governmentS reluctant to have private citizens rocking the boat. The all aspects of the notional “frontier” was to be managed for the Crown by its own (and more importantly, accountable) organisations. In short, the British Empire had no further need of the Frontiersmen.

I have had a trawl through the London Gazette for mention of the Legion post WW1. There are just two entries that I could find;

1 1935 an MBE being awarded to an Arthur Kingsley Bell for “services in connection with the Legion of Frontiersmen, New Zealand Division”.
2 10th November 1932. Maj-Gen Lord Loch, CB,CMG, DSO, MVO & others “praying for the grant of a Charter of Incorporation to The Legion of Frontiersmen”. The King referred it to the Committee of the Lords of the Council. It goes on to say all petitions for or against should be delivered to the Privy Council Office “on or before the 12th day of December next”.

There is no subsequent mention of the Charter being granted or declined. I presume the previously mention reference in respect of that charter WO:32 10427/1922 is actually meant to be WO 32/10427 1933. Further more there is also at the National Archives a document WO 32/16484 “Legion of Frontiersmen: claims for recognition and requests to take part in parades etc” 1952-53.. So I’d hazard a guess that the charter was not granted otherwise there would no need for “recognition”.

I am quite happy to be proven wrong.

For what it is worth, I conclude that the LoF (CMO) is probably the closest thing to the legitimate heirs of the original LoF albeit without a discernable role. The LoF (IOC) has the same bunch of “rent-a-royal-patrons” as a number of other organisations set up in the USA.

Hmmm.

From Boards.ie
http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=9ca6de26a73b037036cdffb4d3849081&t=2055135330&page=2

do you all want to read more on the baron., how about a young student being sent to latvia, and being left at the airport in riga, making his own way to the military barricks, and when getthing there being informed that no one knew anything about a "IBA" course he was suposed to attend and had already paid for (1000 OLD IRISH POUND) into the "IBA ACCOUNT". But the men of a baltics did'nt leave the lad out in the cold, luckily enough, and let him stay and train until he could arrange an earlier flight back. on his return the "baron" was then approached by the young chap and was informed that his 1000£ was safe in the iba account and would be available for a future course.

or what about the lads that attended a non IBA course held in SA, and a few years later when one of them applied to the gardai was asked about being trained by mercenaries in angola. info supplied by the baron of castleshortt. sour grapes for not attending an IBA course.

nice guy.

Also:

"On a side note, he was once brought around Dublin looking in the miltary antique shops, looking for some medals and other military curios. His guide for the day noticed several years later that the bit's and pieces he had bought were now in a display case and being touted as his father's various commendations."

I regret to advise that General Michael J Donnelly is indeed Captain Michael Donnelly QGM of the Queen’s Regiment (508703). An erstwhile colleague of his, now at RHQ PWRR, described Mick Donnelly as a “Walter Mitty type” even before I had a chance to explain the nature of my enquiry.

I've forwarded on some of his "red tab" pictures for a positive visual ID.

As a former member of the Queen's Regiment, I must confess to finding his antics rather disappointing.

Update; RHQ PWRR

Three members of the HQ staff
...know Mike Donnelly and we've all just had a good laugh looking at your photo's and the web site. Really made our day. You're correct he never served in the SAS or the like and I'd be very surprised if the badge on his stable belt is the authentic SAS. ......
Nice to know I've helped to bring some joy in the world. :D

Now what about his KSG! :x

Gas Gas Gas said:
For what it is worth, I conclude that the LoF (CMO) is probably the closest thing to the legitimate heirs of the original LoF albeit without a discernable role. The LoF (IOC) has the same bunch of “rent-a-royal-patrons” as a number of other organisations set up in the USA.
There is legitimate and there is worthy. Two different things.

You may be right to say that CMO is the legitimate-est incarnation of the LoF, but frankly the CMO bears no resemblance to its forbears who were men of action, honour and dignity. The present CMO has handed all that in - substituting inaction, deception and lies. It is not worthy.

In fact, all the overseas incarnations of the LoF are often more worthy than the arrogant, idiot CMO. These groups, usually claimed as 'unofficial' by CMO are paramilitary rotarians - harmless yet sometimes also wanting to do something for their community. In the 233 pages of this thread you'll have found proof of their fundraising. Good luck to them, and I, for one have stopped mocking the overseas IOC too much. Where they look silly is by thinking that Bennett and the UK IOC amount to much. Like the CMO they don't.

Basically anything Frontiersmen in the UK is a very poor show, from the parade barging 'ceremonial' squadron to the idiot shaven-headed parachute squadron, the kilted loons with RIBs in Scotland and all the pony clubs that fancy a bit of braid. They have failed to justify why they should have any form of status or charter. I expect that that was as apparent in 1953 as it is shockingly obvious now. What is shocking is their gall.

Victorian_Major said:
There is legitimate and there is worthy. Two different things.
Quite so. It is a shame that none of the UK LoFs can actually show that they've actually done something.

It's teh same over here.. I live now on the West Coast of Canada and ran into their "Worldwide" RSM (He claimed) . After a little research it turned out he had be a 20yr Jr rank in a reserve unit (Master Cpl a Canadian rank ) , left them and suddenly became an RSM? Sorry, but I dont swallow it. The worst was he showed up for Rememberance Day and tried to blend in with the troopies and and they didnt know any better. And he sure has a rack of medals for someone who has been anywheres. A Putz.

CaptTex said:
It's teh same over here.. I live now on the West Coast of Canada and ran into their "Worldwide" RSM (He claimed) . After a little research it turned out he had be a 20yr Jr rank in a reserve unit (Master Cpl a Canadian rank ) , left them and suddenly became an RSM? Sorry, but I dont swallow it. The worst was he showed up for Rememberance Day and tried to blend in with the troopies and and they didnt know any better. And he sure has a rack of medals for someone who has been anywheres. A Putz.
You probably meant "hasn't been" anywhere.

It is wonderful that commonwealth nations adhere to the idea of getting gongs for valour, campaigns, long or meritorious service, and that's all. And its great that these walts are spotted so far afield.

IIRC, the man you speak of had a glowing write-up in some magazine in Canada.

I almost believed it myself.

However, a blood-hound contributor to this thread discovered that the RSM had been a cook in your TA, which is no bad thing in itself, and worked for the generalissimo of the local branch of the LoF, who, in his turn, owned a surplus and second-hand military store. Manning the till.

How intrepid.

I almost fell off my chair with jealousy.

Does any one know if there is a Branch of the Legion Of Frontiersmen in Belfast? I know a walt who would be absolutely ideal to become their President. He even uses the "famous by proximity" stratagem to further the illusion that he is a Veteran War Hero. He once attended an event which included, Gurkhas, Chelsea Pensioners, Fd Marshalls and genuine decorated war Veterans and guess what, he was famous too!! It must be something similar to passive smoking, passive War Hero Status.

M83

Your right, sometimes my mind is going faster than my fingers and my spelling suffers. I ran into these guys down south in Houston, Texas. I guess it's their American Branch - The Washington Legion. Dressed like a bunch of old time Boy-Scouts who are covered with braid. Ive ran this guys name ( the worldwide RSM ) and find he signs a lot of web site message boards for soldiers who have died in Iraq . Signs his name as the RSM of the LoF. Like I said before.
A Putz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads