Legion of Frontiersmen to 152eme régiment d'Infanterie?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by RP578, Apr 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Whilst doing some research on the Bucks Battalion, I came across an interesting character in the roll of honour of the small village of Burnham near Slough.

I have done a cursory search for the French unit and wiki gives me this (my own translation so apologies for errors):

Does anyone know:

a) If it would have been indeed possible for some one to enlist in a private organisation like the LofF and then transfer to the French? I know that the LofF manned remount depots in the UK and sent a cohort off to help the Belgians, but that's about it.

b) Any more information on the 6e Compagnie 152eme Régiment d'Infanterie (Battalion unknown)?

It's a long, long shot, but more incredible things have occurred on ARRSE.

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I drive past their barracks near Colmar most weeks:

152e Régiment d'Infanterie

Got to rush now, will come back later with more info.

3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

a) I know nothing about the LofF and don't think I want to.
    b) 152 are most famous for Hartmanvillerkopf (old Armand in French), they are still a very active unit with a big history.

Here is a .pdf link to the regimental history:

http://jburavand.free.fr/historiques/RI-152.pdf

4. It was possible for Britons and others to join the French Army in Ww1. E.g. Poet Alan Seegar, disgraced officer Colonel John Elkington,and Indian Oxford student Sardar Hardutt Singh and Fuiji's first uiniversity student Ratu Sukuna. However, these chaps ended up in the Foreign Legion.

Maybe an Egyptian who spoke French may have found it possible to join the French Army. The history posted by Alsacian says that the 3rd battalion of the 152 carried out an attack on the 17th August to take the tenches at Mattle Ridge opposite Sondernach. This sector wasnlt that quiet. The fact that he recieved a burial may be an indivation that he died from some routines violence of trenches. In the majors battles a high proportion of casualties did not received a proper burial.

The CWGC will have no record of the death of someone serving in a non commonwealth army.

I would be inclined to check