• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Legendary British warship found

#1
A US-based salvage firm is believed to have found remains from the wreck of a legendary British warship which sank in the English Channel in 1744.

"But as a military wreck, they officially belong to the British state."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7863840.stm

The salvagers can fcuk off, it's her Majesties? Royal Navy's property, and the economy needs the gold! (Or put it towards New Trident!!). We should put a sub over it till we can get our gold back.
 
#2
FNUSNU said:
A US-based salvage firm is believed to have found remains from the wreck of a legendary British warship which sank in the English Channel in 1744.

"But as a military wreck, they officially belong to the British state."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7863840.stm

The salvagers can fcuk off, it's her Majesties? Royal Navy's property, and the economy needs the gold! (Or put it towards New Trident!!). We should put a sub over it till we can get our gold back.
Isn't that a tad dangerous? I mean, the ship now at the bottom hit a rock and sank, and our navy have had a nasty habit of driving into rocks in the last few years IIRC.
I saw a picture of the inside of the Nottingham this week when it hit that rock. Very lucky it didn't go down!
 
#4
box-of-frogs said:
FNUSNU said:
A US-based salvage firm is believed to have found remains from the wreck of a legendary British warship which sank in the English Channel in 1744.

"But as a military wreck, they officially belong to the British state."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7863840.stm

The salvagers can fcuk off, it's her Majesties? Royal Navy's property, and the economy needs the gold! (Or put it towards New Trident!!). We should put a sub over it till we can get our gold back.
Isn't that a tad dangerous? I mean, the ship now at the bottom hit a rock and sank, and our navy have had a nasty habit of driving into rocks in the last few years IIRC.
I saw a picture of the inside of the Nottingham this week when it hit that rock. Very lucky it didn't go down!
Mate of mine was on Nottingham doing damage control and he showed me abot 50 pictures he took. How she never sank is beyond me. Everywhere was full of water, scary stuff
 
#5
Sod the gold,surely this wreck is still a grave? not sure what others think but my feeling is the site should be treated with respect.
 
#6
vandyke said:
box-of-frogs said:
FNUSNU said:
A US-based salvage firm is believed to have found remains from the wreck of a legendary British warship which sank in the English Channel in 1744.

"But as a military wreck, they officially belong to the British state."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7863840.stm

The salvagers can fcuk off, it's her Majesties? Royal Navy's property, and the economy needs the gold! (Or put it towards New Trident!!). We should put a sub over it till we can get our gold back.
Isn't that a tad dangerous? I mean, the ship now at the bottom hit a rock and sank, and our navy have had a nasty habit of driving into rocks in the last few years IIRC.
I saw a picture of the inside of the Nottingham this week when it hit that rock. Very lucky it didn't go down!
Mate of mine was on Nottingham doing damage control and he showed me abot 50 pictures he took. How she never sank is beyond me. Everywhere was full of water, scary stuff
Seeing one it was the Navy, two it was a ship, three it was at sea, id have been more worried if the 50 pics were of it full of sand or rose bushes.
 
#7
scarletto said:
vandyke said:
box-of-frogs said:
FNUSNU said:
A US-based salvage firm is believed to have found remains from the wreck of a legendary British warship which sank in the English Channel in 1744.

"But as a military wreck, they officially belong to the British state."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7863840.stm

The salvagers can fcuk off, it's her Majesties? Royal Navy's property, and the economy needs the gold! (Or put it towards New Trident!!). We should put a sub over it till we can get our gold back.
Isn't that a tad dangerous? I mean, the ship now at the bottom hit a rock and sank, and our navy have had a nasty habit of driving into rocks in the last few years IIRC.
I saw a picture of the inside of the Nottingham this week when it hit that rock. Very lucky it didn't go down!
Mate of mine was on Nottingham doing damage control and he showed me abot 50 pictures he took. How she never sank is beyond me. Everywhere was full of water, scary stuff
Seeing one it was the Navy, two it was a ship, three it was at sea, id have been more worried if the 50 pics were of it full of sand or rose bushes.
Not sure if you are familiar with all things nautical but the general idea is to keep the water on the OUTSIDE. Apparantly if you let the water inside ships do very good submarine impressions. At a rough guess i would say that the crew of this wreck that was found failed to follow the above rule.
 
#8
"The money is not as important as the cultural and historical significance of the discovery," Mr Stemm said.
Aye right!
Spain targets US treasure ships.
A Spanish court has ordered the interception of two US boats should they leave Gibraltar, amid a row over treasure from a shipwreck.
Odyssey Marine Exploration are industrial treasure hunters.
 
#10
The US Navy have one rule about recovering anything from their wrecks.

That rule is "Leave it alone"

I don't understand why the RN don't have the same rule.

Mind you, the MoD have been quoted as co-operating with Odyssey on this.
 
#11
Given that the US Supreme Court ruled that the wreak of a British warship in the Great Lakes was ours I don't think these buggers have much of a leg to stand on (one fewer than Long John Silver in fact)
 
#13
spasticus said:
Sod the gold,surely this wreck is still a grave? not sure what others think but my feeling is the site should be treated with respect.
^
^
^

Numpty

After 264 years I doubt if any bodies are still around nor should I think they would care.

Plunder the gold, put it back in Britain's coffers and off with the heads of anyone who say's otherwise.
 
#14
Spank-it said:
spasticus said:
Sod the gold,surely this wreck is still a grave? not sure what others think but my feeling is the site should be treated with respect.
^
^
^

Numpty

After 264 years I doubt if any bodies are still around nor should I think they would care.

Plunder the gold, put it back in Britain's coffers and off with the heads of anyone who say's otherwise.
That almost smacks of piracy, albeit state sponsored, how ironic.

Can't say I'm too chuffed with having those Yankee rebels come over here & disturb a Royal Navy grave though, would that really be allowed if it were an American warship?

-DC
 
#15
Dashing_Chap said:
Spank-it said:
spasticus said:
Sod the gold,surely this wreck is still a grave? not sure what others think but my feeling is the site should be treated with respect.
^
^
^

Numpty

After 264 years I doubt if any bodies are still around nor should I think they would care.

Plunder the gold, put it back in Britain's coffers and off with the heads of anyone who say's otherwise.
That almost smacks of piracy, albeit state sponsored, how ironic.

Can't say I'm too chuffed with having those Yankee rebels come over here & disturb a Royal Navy grave though, would that really be allowed if it were an American warship?

-DC
No, I don't think it would be allowed. In fact i would imagine the same rules would apply. it seems like the US Salvage company are following procedures by marking the site, announcing it's discovery and will now wait for a ruling before salvaging or releasing the whereabouts to the UK government.
 
#16
PartTimePongo said:
The US Navy have one rule about recovering anything from their wrecks.

That rule is "Leave it alone

I don't understand why the RN don't have the same rule.

Mind you, the MoD have been quoted as co-operating with Odyssey on this.
Probably because we and the rest of the colonial powers nicked and imported everything worth stealing well before the US was in a position to do the same and we have a lot for loot to recover. Other than warships, what treasures have they lost at sea?
 
E

EScotia

Guest
#17
Keep it quiet :roll: , Broon will probably announce it as an addition to the fleet and use it to show he has increased the spending on the Navy :D
 
#19
Is this expedition grave robbery at sea or reclamation of national property? My view is that it's an equal share of both.
 
#20
ObnoxiousJockGit said:
"The money is not as important as the cultural and historical significance of the discovery," Mr Stemm said.
Aye right!
Spain targets US treasure ships.
A Spanish court has ordered the interception of two US boats should they leave Gibraltar, amid a row over treasure from a shipwreck.
Odyssey Marine Exploration are industrial treasure hunters.
Can you blame them?! The vessel mentioned in this story was HMS SUSSEX that sank in 1694, whilst carrying about £3 million in gold to the Duke of Savoy. That £3 million is worth (about) £12 BILLION in today's money. Under the terms of the deal between Odyssey and HMG, the company was to get 80 percent of the proceeds up to $45 million, 50 percent from $45 million to $500 million and 40 percent above $500 million. The British government got the rest.

The Damnable Don got stuck in and tried to steal Her MAjesty's property, including through the illegal arrest of the two Odyssey vessels. They were both eventually released and the company is suing the Spanish government for compensation.
 

Top