Legalizing Cannabis

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I agree with you, that'll work for a section of the market. Affluent, intelligent, recreational users will take it or leave it in the same way they use alcohol.
The chronic addicts down the estate who use it the most won't give a sh*t, they don't care about quality control, just that Dave out the back of the pub can get me some for £20. To them its just another way of blotting out life, (and use it as an excuse not to work because of the anxiety/psychosis/MH issues it brings).

The importers bringing tonnes of the stuff in aren't then going to be deterred by a the threat of HMRC coming knocking, under the Customs and Excise Management Act (CEMA) any vehicle/vessel/aircraft used to smuggle contraband in can be seized by the Crown, so they're already risking a significant financial asset in their enterprise. The commercial growers in houses aren't either.
That depends on the what tax levels the government imposes, current street prices for weed, not hash, are about £10 per gram for small amounts, if you buy larger quantities eg 25g it works out cheaper, around £7-£8 per gram. Essentially it's about pitching the tax level to the right level to bring in revenue but make smuggling not worth while, this is why tobacco smuggling is so rife now when you have a 20 deck costing over £10, well over double that of many countries it makes smuggling baccy very, very worthwhile.

Then there are issues of licensing for growth and sale, if we look at Oregon, a major producer, they have an exceptionally liberal cannabis growing sector, and are now suffering issues of huge over production, with cannabis mountains they can't shift.

Glut of marijuana in Oregon is cautionary tale, experts say – The Denver Post

Growing pains: how Oregon wound up with way more pot than it can smoke

Can the market find balance eventually.

There is a consensus in the UK that legalisation is the way ahead

Eight reasons to legalise cannabis

Legalising cannabis ‘could earn Treasury £3.5bn’

Bhang is made with the buds of the female cannabis plants dried slowly. The drying process also converts THC-A into THC but at nowhere near the rate that burning does. The buds are packed with THC-A in comparison with the leaves and stalks.

Cannabis cookies and brownies require cooking. Heat cannabis above 70C or so and THC-A will convert to THC. So they contain THC. Vape oils are carboxylated; you can’t vape a medical marijuana oil. I’ve no idea how drinks are made.

You can’t get high on cannabis leaves. Nor can you get high on a medical marijuana oil prepared and stored properly.
you can vape green(bud) or solid (kif and hash) or any oil with thc, you get special chambers for each to use with vape pens. Each has some sort of element to heat the oil to flash point without combusting it. They then do not need to be caboxylated. I can send you the unused ones that came with my vape pen I bought online when I was stopping tobacco smoking., if you want to see how they work. They also sell purpose built vapourisers.

What you need to know about weed vaporizers, vape pens and vaping

It is, just follow the steps. You make the case. The law is for the prohibition of recreational-unauthorised use.
I think we're aggressively agreeing.

In the case of the poor lad who is in the news at the moment, there is inevitably an untold story there. MSM is giving a weepy, feminised tale of a child cruelly deprived of miracle treatment and left to die by uncaring authorities. Now I don't know his details, but i imagine that he in fact receives a great deal of NHS care and support for his conditions, and that he is not in fact mortally dependent upon cannabis oil for his survival. Maybe the oil has a miracle effect, or maybe it is simply having a placebo effect (on the mother, as much as the child).
The Times reports that before the withdrawal of the cannabis oil he hadn't had an epileptic fit for ~300 days. The day after it was withdrawn he had two fits serious enough to put him into hospital.

I seem to recall a Doctor explaining to me very ernestly over a bottle of wine, in Amsterdam (as it happens), that marijuana, or cannabis (or both. old age prevents accuracy) can have a negative effect on a certain gene pool which will create - even after one toke - a permanent (or at least only possible to worsen) side effect of schizophrenia.

Around 10% of the worlds population is susceptible as I recall. I believe the origin is to be found in the BMA review. Surely this sort of thing should be screened before legalization to ensure that 10% is aware.

I think we're aggressively agreeing.
I did get that sort of implication. What gets me is it isn't difficult to get the recreational Libertarians on to the band wagon. The question is quite simple. Do you have the legal authority to import. If no do not pass go.
I once got a canadian who had a with weed in his baggage and he had a permit to possess under their law but not to import into the UK.
After some time it emerged he'd arrived in the UK but failed to declare on the assumption that if it was OK in Canada it was OK here. He had bought some more in Amsterdam but couldn't differentiate between the two as it was all in the same bag. This meant he had more than he was permitted in Canada, but again he hadn't declared it on arrival in the UK by air. By a process of elimination we established that actually he'd used all his Canadian allowance and was therefore fair game. In the end action was confined to Seize and Report and he wasn't arrested as the Canadian card undermined the concept of evading a prohibition in force at the time. But the number of times people forget that they're state law does not overrule another countries Law is truly astounding.

Care to qualify that remark?
The UK is the world's largest producer of legal Cannabis, UN body finds

But

Reality Check: Does UK export the most legal cannabis?

Interesting snippet from the BBC article below.

Cannabis is also being grown legally in the UK for another medicine, Epidiolex. It's currently being reviewed for the treatment of two rare forms of uncontrollable epilepsy, by medicine agencies in both the US and Europe. But it's not yet available.

The specially bred type of cannabis plant used to make it is grown in a glasshouse in Wissington, Norfolk, by British Sugar - which also grows virtually all of the sugar beet in the UK.

British Sugar - whose managing director is Paul Kenward - has an exclusive deal with pharmaceutical company GW, which makes Epidiolex. Mr Kenward is married to drugs minister Victoria Atkins.

She was accused of "hypocrisy on a grand scale" over her husband's involvement in a legal cannabis farm. She declared the interest in Parliament when she was appointed in 2017 and excused herself from speaking for the government on cannabis.

You highlight the very madness in the situation. She was readily prescribed opiates, but can’t get a lesser cheaper drug.

And before people go on about the side effects of cannabis, all drugs have side effects. I’ve had so many opiates I’ve developed sensitivity to them. Has anyone had ketamine?
I was injected with Ketamine during the caesarian section when having my first child, as the epidural I'd been given 5 hours earlier started to wear off mid surgery. The resultant "trip" was horrendous and re-inforced my previously held belief that hallucinogens were not for me.

I've yet to hear a convincing argument that marijuana is any worse than alcohol and has far more benefits, so tell me why one is legal and the other isn't?

I was injected with Ketamine during the caesarian section when having my first child, as the epidural I'd been given 5 hours earlier started to wear off mid surgery. The resultant "trip" was horrendous and re-inforced my previously held belief that hallucinogens were not for me.
I took some LSD and afterwards rode on a train from Nottingham back home. I looked out of the window and saw the Valkyries riding across the night sky in chariots accompanied by Wagner. That reinforced my belief that I was much better off taking speed instead.

However campaigners have criticised the UK government saying they "consistently refused to allow medical cannabis in the UK on the basis that it has 'no therapeutic value'".

That is not strictly true. I believe it's down to NICE to recommend the medicines that the NHS should use and from memory Pharma have had adequate chances to capitalise. The problem is that one Doctor on their own will not obtain a licence for one specific case, but were you to have a clinical case that could be used by health trusts on a joint basis might have enough clout. Since Pharma companies use both OGL and SL quite regularly they should understand the problems

I've yet to hear a convincing argument that marijuana is any worse than alcohol and has far more benefits, so tell me why one is legal and the other isn't?
I might have had a spliff, or two, legally - police related. "Right lad when you are out there smoke it but, don't inhale".........what a load of tosh. I suffered no side effects, bad dreams, impotence - actually I got quite a stiffy later in the evenings, no withdrawl symptons, mood swings, desire to rip my heart out and I didn't see the valkyries that @endure saw.

I quite enjoyed the experiences and have never partaken since.

One of our Detective Sgt's was nobbled after he retired. He had MS and used to smoke a spliff, or two quietly to overcome the MS, it worked for him - he got nicked by an over enthusiastic DC after he retired, ended up in court, had a severe wrist slapping, receiving a non-custodial sentence.

you can vape green(bud) or solid (kif and hash) or any oil with thc, you get special chambers for each to use with vape pens. Each has some sort of element to heat the oil to flash point without combusting it. They then do not need to be caboxylated. I can send you the unused ones that came with my vape pen I bought online when I was stopping tobacco smoking., if you want to see how they work. They also sell purpose built vapourisers.

What you need to know about weed vaporizers, vape pens and vaping
THC is de-carboxylated THC-A. The COOH molecule has been removed. That can be done by heating or burning. The attached graph shows the how temperature affects the process.

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/blog-images/decarboxylation-graph-1-11.jpg

You can see from the graph that THC-A is carbohydrated at quite low temperatures but the THC released is negligible; you won’t get high. THC-A does not make you high; it has to be decarboxylated to THC to do so.

The amount of THC you get from cannabis de-carboxylation depends on three core factors; the temperature to which you heat the product and time you heat it for (the graph) and the THC-A content of the raw material.

Vape oils are made with cannabis buds so they are high in THC-A. Evaporating at relatively low temperatures will release enough THC to get you high. Leaf and stalk don’t contain enough THC-A to decarboxylate tonget you high at evaporation temperatures. Which is why E cigarette cartridges that contain leaf burn the leaf in a chamber.

Oils like Rick Simpson oils and the cold extraction tinctures we make are made with the whole plant. There’s no enough THC-A in the extraction to de-carboxylate into THC by evaporation. They don’t burn well either; not volatile enough.