Legalizing Cannabis

I've mentioned on here before that my sister in law was diagnosed out the blue with stage 4 lung, liver, spine and brain cancer. Off her tits and uncommuniative really with the dosage of morphine etc she was on and still in pain.
Myself and her daughter sourced her cannabis oil and also normal cannabis to make her some brownies and biscuits for when her appetite returned.
The change in her demeanor was miraculous for those final few weeks of her life.Legalize it and be done with the dithering about.
You highlight the very madness in the situation. She was readily prescribed opiates, but can’t get a lesser cheaper drug.

And before people go on about the side effects of cannabis, all drugs have side effects. I’ve had so many opiates I’ve developed sensitivity to them. Has anyone had ketamine?

My mother passed away last month - cancer.
Did cannabis oil help ease her suffering? Yes.
This isn't some teenage scumbag, this was a 70-yr-old person.
I'd rather have her as she was with the oil, than some zapped out morphined-up veg.

Not really having personally locked a number of people up for CEMA offences relating to the importation of Class A.
But I agree with you that properly used for medical purposes it should be legalised, and that some random mother who 'knows best for her child' is calling the government out over it is a bit of a joke.
The clue is in the name of the Act- MISUSE of Drugs. You can do what you want with appropriate approval, smuggling is not approved. You can have a s 5 firearm, with the Home secretaries approval.

Listening to the nonsense on R2- the Government has crumbled- guess what they got a licence.

Legalise it, control the quality.
The lack of knowing what you are buying - tealeaves or some super-strong stuff which can lead to hallucinations - is a major problem.
I'm reminded of our government's first foray into growing medical marijuana back in 2000. Only the Canadian government could screw up growing a weed that your average dopehead has no problem doing, and coming out with a product so awful that those with a marijuana prescription wound up selling their vacuum-sealed packages so they could buy off their old dealers.

With legalisation on the horizon, I've been reading about 3 factories being set up to produce marijuana, all within a 50 mile radius of where I live, with one of them on our local Indian reserve.

There's a pic in the photos that make you think thread of some Montana bar with a sign saying no beer for Indians.
But hey ho let them grow weed... Bud light and popcorn time.

To be fair, its the lack of scientific research and clinical evidence that inhibits the approval of things like cannabis oil. There is a perceived problem with people self-dosing themselves with alternative medicines (i.e. not necessarily cannabis oil) that may be harmful or counter-act formal clinical treatments they are receiving..
Exactly. Very little research has been done because cannabis is illegal in most jurisdictions. Where research is starting to happen, cannabis oils are being developed with known and specific THC and CBD and doses are properly designed. Which is why people go to California.

...With legalisation on the horizon, I've been reading about 3 factories being set up to produce marijuana, all within a 50 mile radius of where I live, with one of them on our local Indian reserve.

Now's the time to set up that pizza business right next door to the dope factories. Maybe introduce them to the munchie box too while you're at it.

Exactly. Very little research has been done because cannabis is illegal in most jurisdictions. Where research is starting to happen, cannabis oils are being developed with known and specific THC and CBD and doses are properly designed. Which is why people go to California.

How is the illegality of recreational use a barrier to research? E.g. Opiates are highly researched under a legal regime, as are other controlled substances. Perhaps campaigners ought to focus on encouraging the above-board research aspect, rather than the unrestricted recreational aspect?

How is the illegality of recreational use a barrier to research? E.g. Opiates are highly researched under a legal regime, as are other controlled substances. Perhaps campaigners ought to focus on encouraging the above-board research aspect, rather than the unrestricted recreational aspect?
Happening in places like Colorado.
Doctors and botanists setting up companies and producing 'medicinal' grade stuff.
As I wrote above, being able to say 'This is X%, 99% pure.'

Home Secretary addressing the house now - “this is categorically not about legalising cannabis for recreational use”.
Abbott responding.............goodness me, she is abysmal. God help us if she and her mates ever gets into Government.

Bur you can eat cookies, candies, drink bottled drinks or bhang* and get high if you want. you also can vape, all without burning the product.

*for an example the terrible and debilitating effects of long term bhang use, look no further than the flow of drivel posted by ARRSE member @earth
Bhang is made with the buds of the female cannabis plants dried slowly. The drying process also converts THC-A into THC but at nowhere near the rate that burning does. The buds are packed with THC-A in comparison with the leaves and stalks.

Cannabis cookies and brownies require cooking. Heat cannabis above 70C or so and THC-A will convert to THC. So they contain THC. Vape oils are carboxylated; you can’t vape a medical marijuana oil. I’ve no idea how drinks are made.

You can’t get high on cannabis leaves. Nor can you get high on a medical marijuana oil prepared and stored properly.

Happening in places like Colorado.
Doctors and botanists setting up companies and producing 'medicinal' grade stuff.
As I wrote above, being able to say 'This is X%, 99% pure.'

Growing and purifying it is one thing, but what I was getting at is clinical research into the identification and mechanism of the active chemical components. I.e. do we know if its having an actual medicinal effect (e.g. in the "miracle" testimonies), or is it just stoning people into feeling a bit better? Is cultivation even necessary, or can a family of synthetic medicines be derived from certain chemical precursors identified in the natural product?

On the dark side, there clearly ought to be a clear understanding of the negative effects (and cost of outcomes) before a liberal free-for-all is considered.

Growing and purifying it is one thing, but what I was getting at is clinical research into the identification and mechanism of the active chemical components. I.e. do we know if its having an actual medicinal effect (e.g. in the "miracle" testimonies), or is it just stoning people into feeling a bit better? Is cultivation even necessary, or can a family of synthetic medicines be derived from certain chemical precursors identified in the natural product?

On the dark side, there clearly ought to be a clear understanding of the negative effects (and cost of outcomes) before a liberal free-for-all is considered.
Yes.
Clinicians should be able to do a whole gamut of tests as to the what/why/how.

Again - one must know what one is buying.

It is not a cure for most things but for general pain relief and making you feel better, it is a go to solution for many people already because it is effective.
There’s a substantial bank of evidential medicine that shows cannabis oils arresting the progress of MS, curing cancers, slowing and potentially reversing Alzheimer’s, controlling epilepsy etc etc. Not isolated cases. Now they are connected by social media, the evidence is becoming compelling. A Facebook group for brain cancer sufferers in my state alone has nearing 200 members most of whom are reporting progress.

There are oncologists here who are telling their patients to seek illegal cannabis oils and connecting them with suppliers. The general medical profession is on the wrong side of this one, particularly in the UK where NHS and NICE authodoxy rules.

Growing and purifying it is one thing, but what I was getting at is clinical research into the identification and mechanism of the active chemical components. I.e. do we know if its having an actual medicinal effect (e.g. in the "miracle" testimonies), or is it just stoning people into feeling a bit better.
Cannabis oils do not “stone” people. There’s no high from taking them; you don’t feel anything much.

The medical professionals I talk to who are open to cannabis therapy talk about an ensemble effect and suggest that isolating a single component and synthesising doesn’t work.