Legalising prostitution in the UK

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by NurseyMai, Apr 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Following on from the NAAFI thread ‘I Turned to Prostitution’ got me thinking about the subject of legalising prostitution in the UK. At present, the Sexual Offences Act 2003 sections 51A provides the conditions for the offence of soliciting but the safe legal regulation of prostitutes seems to make sense on the surface. In 2009 the Policing and Crime Act 2009 shifted the offence from the prostitute to the client, which provides a small amount of protection to the prostitute…but is there any reason why two consenting adults should not engage in a business transaction as long as they are both in full agreement as to what is involved?

Would the presence of legal brothels not provide a safer environment in which prostitutes can work? Could they not be more easily policed, with passport checks to ensure the safety of people trafficked into the country, if the brothels were all nationally registered? Would having legal brothels encourage more people to enter the trade as a legitimate job ie to pay the mortgage rather than drugs/alcohol?

It’s clear that people would object to having a known brothel as their neighbour, so would having out of town locations make people more accepting of the practice? With prostitution working legally in many other countries, if would appear that the problems can be anticipated and regulated. It would also have the benefit of running as a legitimate, tax producing business.

Any thoughts for or against?
  2. I have to say that I am more in favour of enthusiastic amateurs.
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Amen to that.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Well, it would be cheaper. I've worked out that my missus is charging me around £3000 a rub.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Yes. Why on earth does this concern you? Are you getting fed up of being nicked by the rozzers for soliciting?
  6. Why, you looking at a new line of work so you can "do it" legally without looking over your shoulder that has nt got a big black cock resting on it?

Yes, seems to work brilliantly here in FRG, so I ve heard
  7. No Government of either colour would ever have the guts to do it.
  8. Yes in favour, reduced tax from smoking and drinking why not earn an income from sex? It would keep the NHS going for years, be safer for the girls and make the MPs recycle their expenses, what's not to like? I would open a brothel and it wouldn't be serving soup.
  9. It's up there with legalising drugs, it makes sense, the Politicians know it the Police know it anyone with any common sense knows it, however people with "Morals" see it as bad so we have to dance to their tune it seems.

Still take heart that it's not illegal to pay a woman for sex! It's illegal to solicit sex.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. I'm sure the loopholes must have been tested (fnarr) - free sex but a mandatory £50 can of Coke, etc.

On the main subject, the arguments for legalising prostitution are very similar to those for drugs IMO - sound from the perspectives of government finance, public health and crime prevention. It makes perfect sense and for that very reason will never ever be become policy in the UK.
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Why not? Keep (a certain amount of) control of STDs. Hookers pay "full" tax on income. It works in so many countries so why not here?

But as previously said which government would have the balls?
  12. No problem with that.
    It would provide employment opportunities for the long term umemployed.
  13. If it wasn't in Current Affairs but the NAFFI i may have posted;............

"The taxman visited a hooker in her high rise and asked, "You've put your employment down as poultry farmer, how do manage this on the tenth floor?"

She replied, "See that settee over there, I raised 1200 cocks on there last year!"

But as it isn't I won't bother!!
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Nor keep it illegal.the hawks will probably tax it to death.
  15. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

deffo should be legal , i could just murder a tart now .
    • Like Like x 1