Legal question re property post relationship breakup

Can anyone help with advice on getting back a deposit paid on a property ?
My son bought a house with his partner and put down the whole deposit from money he had from three tours of Afghanistan. The partner did not put down anything. The relationship has broken down and they Have agreed to sell the house. However, the partner wants a 50/50 split whereas he wants his deposit back and 50% of the equity. Where does he stand?

Can anyone help with advice on getting back a deposit paid on a property ?
My son bought a house with his partner and put down the whole deposit from money he had from three tours of Afghanistan. The partner did not put down anything. The relationship has broken down and they Have agreed to sell the house. However, the partner wants a 50/50 split whereas he wants his deposit back and 50% of the equity. Where does he stand?

Can he prove it? I could and got my money back after the ex was caught lying to a court. If he can't prove it, he needs to chalk it up to experience.

Be very wary of employing solicitors, as their fees will escalate very quickly, likely absorbing much of the money under dispute.

This is a complicated area of law and depends if the are joint tenants (most likely) or tenants in common.

Speak to citizens advice.

Who's got the mortgage? and are they married or just 'partners'. If they are not married and the mortgage is in his name only - he won't need to give her squat diddly. In UK law there is no such thing as 'common law' wife and she won't have a legal leg to stand on, as essentially she will just be classed as his girlfriend & have no rights to anything.

Who's got the mortgage? and are they married or just 'partners'. If they are not married and the mortgage is in his name only - he won't need to give her squat diddly. In UK law there is no such thing as 'common law' wife and she won't have a legal leg to stand on, as essentially she will just be classed as his girlfriend & have no rights to anything.
It is a joint mortgage. No, they are not married and there are no children to complicate issues.

Can he prove it? I could and got my money back after the ex was caught lying to a court. If he can't prove it, he needs to chalk it up to experience.

Be very wary of employing solicitors, as their fees will escalate very quickly, likely absorbing much of the money under dispute.
He can prove he paid the deposit. He has the paper trail.

The TR1 (transfer document) will record their instructions as to how the property is to be held between them. A Court will be heavily persuaded by that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
massivegeoff Officers 9
shamrock The Intelligence Cell 18
Ho2331 The Intelligence Cell 75