Legal Aspects of Stress

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by headdown, May 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Due to the long term gapping of a major appointment in our unit and the subsequent increase in workload I became ill through stress earlier this week (it is not a nice, trust me).

The doc (military) said that the continued gapping of this post posed a Health and Safety risk (i.e. my health was suffering).

I have formally notified the CO (at his request, he is being very supportive) of the employers responsibilities;

All employers have legal responsibility under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 to ensure the health safety and welfare at work of their employees. This includes minimising the risk of stress-related illness or injury to employees. (HSE Website)

and also notified him that I felt my health is suffering as per the individual's duty of care to themselves (also on the HSE website)

Does anyone have experience of this situation-The CO, as well wanting to see me back up to full health, hopes that the legal obligation part will chivvy the powers that be into filling the relevant post.

If they do not then what is the next step?

All info gratefully received, obviously if the situation doesn't improve I will take formal legal advice, but at this stage the experiences of Arrsers would be useful