Legal advice on circumstances leading to loss of job.

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by chrisg46, Jun 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Until earlier today, I was an it contractor and just returned from holiday. Whilst on holiday, the car hire company took a substantial deposit. Upon return to the uk, we found that a) I hadn't been paid (in all honesty, I could have been late submitting time sheet - potentially my fault), and b) the car deposit had not been returned. As a result if this, I was unable to purchase a train ticket to get to work on Monday. As I did not attend work on Monday, I was let go this morning - part of their t&c is that employees are financially stable.

It's pretty raw right now and I might just be lashing out, but I am wondering if I can take action against car hire company for keeping hold of deposit? I have already complained to them re loss of a days wage but could I claim against loss of contract, as I had no indication that deposit would be removed and not returned immediately?
    I am not interested in claiming against my work - they have given me 4 weeks paid leave and are open re their t&c. I do think they have been unfair with their definition of financially stable as I would have needed over 2000 to have both events above occur simultaneously and still get to work. But it's their train set and dems da roolz, as they say.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  2. Why didn't you just ring in sick?
  3. chrisg46

4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

A failure to prepare on your part does not constitute an emergency on their part.

You have a right of recourse if the deposit is not refunded in a reasonably timely manner, but presuming the return from holiday was over a weekend a refund in the next working day or so would be "reasonable".
  5. What The Duke said.

And get a credit card.
  6. chrisg46

I thought i did have a credit card, kept for precisely this reason, sealed in an envelope so i wouldn't be tempted to use it (bad history of that). Ten days before i went on holiday, i contacted barclasy to get a new one as the card had expired and found they had cancelled it due to lack of use or something!
  7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I say again, a failure to prepare on your part does not constitute an emergency on their part.

You are an admin cluster, aren't you?
  8. chrisg46

I admit, finances are not my strong point!
  9. You`re not a sucker you are a totally incompetent fuckin idiot!!!!
  10. Bloody hell, That fence is going to give you splinters if you are not careful.

11. Your difficulty is that the losses you suffered (the loss of your job) is not, in law, a forseeable consequence of the hire car company's breach (holding onto the deposit) assuming it was a breach.
    You are not (by the sound of it) an employee (only paid on submission of time sheets) so there's probably little you could do as against them anyway.
  12. Good Evening

The best legal advice one can give, is that you should call out the Police and ask them to call the Approved Social Worker, who can section you.

You need to be certified