Leg of Venison

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Fang_Farrier, Jan 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Have been given an entire hind leg of venison, plan is to have it the morn's night. Luckily enough it is frozen at present but has been well hung.

Was planning on boning it (or else it wouldn't fit in oven) Have cooked plenty venison in my time but nothing this big before.

Any hints or clues?

Was planning this Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall: Roast haunch of venison | Life and style | The Guardian
    but am open to suggestions.
  2. The way I like it is to jab it all over with a thin knife, then insert (very very thin) slivers of garlic, thyme and butter in to the cuts. Smear with butter, season then cover in thin onion rings.

Cover in foil for 3/4s of the cooking time, then remove foil for last hour or so.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Thanks for this. Just acquired a 5kg haunch of red deer to tinker with.

Tunnel boning sounds fun, though I last worked in a slaughterhouse in '75.
  4. Lardons don't hurt either. Drop of red wine for a reduction with the juices or you could use a pale ale and beef stock.
  5. If you have a bakery anywhere near you, you might ask if you can bung it in their oven when they are finished baking for the day (usually sometime in the morning). I've done this for large hams here in Germany, usually only cost me a few Euros.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. As long as you don't do what I did with it you'll be fine. Working to instructions I lovingly, and carefully, prepared a wonderful marinade and put that and the leg into a plastic freezer bag to suffuse.

Sadly I forgot to put it into the fridge and left it beside the Aga for four days.

To say it was putrid doesn't really do it justice.
  7. 'minds me of the time the "Village Hall Committee" asked a few likely donors for some venison to make a stew for the "Old Folks Christmas party". All obliged, in spades. The local butcher who had volunteered to prep the meat calculated there was 5Kg of usable meat for every human being in the community, let alone the old folks.
  8. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

First catch your deer..

My mother's dit (from 1942 when 42(RM)Cdo was leaping about Scotland on some laird's estate):

'One day the mess sergeant came to the door and offered me a haunch of venison. Of course I accepted gratefully and hung it up in the shed. When [Seaweed's stepfather] came in, he told me someone had shot a deer and he would have to put him on a charge. “You can’t do that,” I said. “Why not?” “Because there’s a haunch of it in the garden shed.” So that was that. During the first hour at Doubs Castle one Marine had a nice big salmon out of the river. He was very proud of being a poacher by profession.'
  9. Did a bloke a favour the other day and he's turned up this morning and left us about a 2/3lb of 'strip loin' of venison. I've never heard of this cut before - had loin of pork - and haven't a clue how to cook it. Don't know the make, Roe/Fallow etc., or when it was killed, age, if it's been hung or for how long etc., no details at all available on it's history.

Every other time we've tried cooking venison haunch, apart from casserole/stew, it's not turned out well. Neither of us like our meat done 'rare', any blood or even 'pinkness' and it's straight in the dog.

So, how do we cook it so it's (a) not rare and, (b) not as tough as old boots ?
  10. Venison is very lean. I think if you don't like such meat cooked even medium then give it away.
  11. dark chocolate in the sauce works a treat, or failing that a little drop of port.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. There is no blood in it! Once killed the animals are drained of blood.
    The stuff you think is blood is actually just juices from the relaxed meat.
    Either stop being such a tart or give the meat to someone who will appreciate it.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Oh and venison gave my last dog really bad gastroenteritis so I don't give it to my dog.
  14. Giving venison to a dog just because it's a tad rare is not only a waste of fine meat, but also means the animal was killed needlessly IMO.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. slice thin, rub with salt and pepper on both sides. place in a dry and very hot pan, 2-3 mins each side to seal the meat. Turn down heat to medium, and cook for about 6 - 8 mins a side. Press the meat with your spatula (ute) and check for firmnes, the firmer the better cooked. Ensure your oven is warm and place the 'steaks' on a plate, leave them for about 5 mins, you can now do the sauce. Boil some water, add a little to the pan and mix with the reside left by the meat. Simultaneously chop some leaks, garlic and red onions, pre fry these and add to your stock. Do dot boil the stock but let it reduce till its thick. Et Viola
    • Like Like x 3