Leg Length Discrepancy (LLD), AFCS, Tribunal, Med Discharge

The ladder was my own time in 2018 and I do not have a claim in for that because I’m not eligible, which I accept. My bad! I was doing something for the wife and didn’t fall that far but the mechanism caused a pilon fracture, unfortunately the worst type of closed fracture which is a life changing injury.....

But the claim I’m still fighting was from 2016 for OA in both hips which I am sure was predominantly caused by service because I didn’t have OA before I joined. But when they cited my leg length discrepancy was the reason I didn’t win the tribunal..... well, I investigated that further the day after and they didn’t test for it despite it being something they should look out for in the pre-entry med according to JSP 345 policy at the time. Now, if they’re going to follow policy why can’t I? That’s what I reckon anyrate!

Appreciate the help btw dinger..... I’m just a little miffed by it all!

True, I get that. It’s just at the age of 37 I didn’t think I’d be arthritic. No family history of arthritis at an early age.

According to the research I’ve done, yes, LLD does have an affect on your lower limbs, especially at knee and hip joints and can cause degeneration, which is exactly what I have.

In a day when soldiers from the NI days are being harassed..... I’m going to be standing up for something I believe is right.
I don’t blame you, it’s an interesting case.

Playing devil’s advocate, I’d argue that as you have LLD and it is a known cause of OA, then it is not a condition caused by service.

Your point about the LLD not being done may also be difficult as you have suffered purely from them not identifying it.

Piloneer

Swinger
I don’t blame you, it’s an interesting case.

Playing devil’s advocate, I’d argue that as you have LLD and it is a known cause of OA, then it is not a condition caused by service.

Your point about the LLD not being done may also be difficult as you have suffered purely from them not identifying it.
Fair enough. That might be the case.

My argument is it’s a bit like a heart murmur. (Not as life threatening but the same sort of reasoning behind it).

I remember that in the pre-entry the doctor would listen to your heart. If you had a murmur it would need further investigation....some murmurs are minor and others more severe.....

My point is that if the doctor hadn’t listened to my heart and it turned out I had a murmur that was sign of a serious issue that wasn’t investigated further and I suffered a heart attack in training because of that, then there is negligence and it is service related.

Same with my LLD. If it had been investigated further then I may not be suffering like I am now.

Musculoskeletal injury is the main reason why service personnel are medically discharged.

This is because the MoD has been paying lip service to injury prevention for years.

Musculoskeletal injury is the main reason why service personnel are medically discharged.
Don’t forget there are two types of medical discharge - attributal (fault of service), invaliding (no fault of service).

AFCS is a no blame compensation scheme, I’d be surprised if you got much further, considering their stance so far. A claim under the tort of negligence may be your best bet.

Piloneer

Swinger
Don’t forget there are two types of medical discharge - attributal (fault of service), invaliding (no fault of service).

AFCS is a no blame compensation scheme, I’d be surprised if you got much further, considering their stance so far. A claim under the tort of negligence may be your best bet.
Cheers Dingerr, I’ll let you know how it goes! Either way I’m discharged with ill health benefits so I’m just very lucky despite everything!

Good luck.

Latest Threads