Leftie wants to abolish salutes

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by wm1965, Jun 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Samantha Pryce-Hume of the Fabian Future think tank based in Westminster believes saluting in the army is out-dated and ultimately inhumane. In her research paper ‘The Army of Today’ she writes “Why should men of lower military rank be forced to raise their hand in a supposed gesture of deference to a higher ranking officer? It’s merely maintaining the decadent, old social order to keep the less well off in their place – it has no basis in today’s modern society”. Alluding to the fact that many of the soldiers in the army are from the lower classes she states saluting is part and parcel of keeping the less fortunate in their social pecking order. She believes the army should move to a flatter structure and suggests “instead of ranks we could streamline the army into a finite number of appointments on a fixed time basis”. This would foster greater equality and interaction between ranks. Her work has the support of sixteen members of the Parliamentary Labour Party (“PLP”).

http://www.fabianfuture.com/news/pr/04-06-2013-spm/army-stop-salutes/

• Like Like x 1
  2. She must be mad, Actually Mr Appointed Officer, I will not advance on that machine gun post because I did not democratically elect you.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Lol. How do you come across this stuff? Don't you have anything else to do with your day?

Oh, and the link doesn't seem to work?

• Like Like x 6
  4. Reminds of that monty python sketch about storming the bunker -

Smith, go out there and throw a grenade in that bunker;

fark orf, it's bloody dangerous, you go;

etc etc

As long as the research has found a link that stopping saluting will make the forces more time efficient, saving the MoD a projected 200 mill in the next 5 years, I'm all for it.

5. There's a piss soaked tramp lying the entry behind my house who insists that everyone under 30 is in the police.

He has as much chance of being taken seriously by anyone other than fellow tramps as that loon does by anyone but fellow "think tank" loons.

6. Its a good thing the 'left' and trade unions are not remotely hierachichal and status perpetuating isn't it?

Society exists and builds social orders - its an inherently human instinct. One only has to look at any organisation to see that very quickly ranks and social standing is built. Give me a clearly defined structure where I know my position in the hierachy than the malicious backstabbing and bullying world that is the Trades Unions anyday.

• Like Like x 14
  7. If the people I was trained with were anything to go by you could drop about 5 days off basic training if you didn't have to be taught to, "salute you c***, not f****** wave like John f******* Inman"

8. Well I went onto the Fabian Society Site and had a look because the link posted in this thread doesn't work!

I typed in "Samantha Pryce-Hume" and "saluting" and nothing came up.

Is there a proper link that works so that we can see the actual original report?

9. What a load of b------s, it would be supported by that crowd. Do you think they are serrious or just attention seeking?

10. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Typical stuff from the Fabians - "No one's taking any notice of us. Put out something controversial and eye-catching. That should up the donations. I know - what about something from that insufferable Oxford intern with the rich father?"

11. I salute her efforts.

That should piss her off.

• Like Like x 20
  12. There's a danger you'll ruin a perfectly good bit of lefty bashing by demanding evidence. By concentrating on this nonsense people are not judging truly bonkers right wing ideas like restricting visits to a GP or people being forced into unjust plea bargains because they are denied proper legal representation.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

On reflection she seems to be Miss Made-up Name. I think we might have bitten at a rather clever spoof

14. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Doesn't saluting date back to lifting visors, hence why the Brits don't do it when not wearing headdress, and why Yanks do, i.e. they didn't have knights. I've actually thought it rather a noble pursuit for all involved...an echo of the past.