leftie prison bollocks

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by brighton hippy, Jun 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. if you one of the types who thinks gulags are the answer please feel free to ignore.
    are prisons are full of 3 mian types the bad the mad and the sad.
    the bad the horredous killers professional criminals and terrorists these people should be spending an awful long time in jail for punishment and protection of the piblic some of them should never get out.
    the mad people with mental health problems should be in secure hopsitals or a place of safety old fashioned assylums prison can't help them drug addicts should be seperated from the main prison population and sent to rigourous detox and rehab places then depending on there crime either back into the main prison population to serve out the rest of there sentance or realised on strick probation weekly urine tests etc etc.
    now the rest of the human flotsom who clogg up our jails the sad they should be rehablitated carrot and stick.
    carrot the state offers you the chance to get an education and a skill when you are realised help with some where to live and help in getting a job and an aftercare programme say 6 months probation
    but you have to obey the rules learn self disicipline and make an effort to sort you life out.

this will entail building a load more prisons and employing more prison staff to actually do the rehabillitation work so never going to happen because it would cost money.
    that would be svaed through less benefits cheque and less police time etc etc and more people working and paying tax

2. So someone who trashes your house and nicks your car is in need of 'rehabilitation'?

Or maybe an effective police force and a punishment low-level criminals would actually be wary of might be a better option?

3. I have to admit a slightly left sided approach to prison myself, especially where rehabilitation is concerned. The mental need to be locked up for the safety of the public (no chance of rehabilitation anyway), those convicted of the most heinous crimes and serious repeat offenders should be locked up indefinitely, but the problem has always been with the petty criminals.

More effort should be made to rehabilitate petty offenders, teach them a trade, teach them respect and try to give them a future as a worthwhile member of society when they leave. Otherwise as soon as they are freed they will reoffend because they know nothing different and see themselves as having no other option.

Edited to add: those that don't respond and go on to reoffend should find themselves suffering harsher penalties.

4. I'm sick of people treating thieving druggie scum as "Victims" Drugs should be treated as an aggravating factor in crime, not as an excuse. It is the drug users who rob, mug and burgle to finance their selfish habit. They do not deserve sympathy, they deserve locking up. The likes of Kate Moss should be made an example of.

There should be 3 aspects to prison, firstly sentences should be a deterrent to help prevent crime.

Prison sentences should be punishment for those who are not deterred by the threat of imprisonment.

The last priority should be rehabilitation and this should be the last phase of the sentence. No time off for good behaviour, increased sentences for bad.

If jails are overcrowded I have a cheap and easy solution which could also form a part of the APWT thus killing two birds with one stone.

5. yes because he's either out for cash for drugs
    or b is a useless scroate who by the time ends up in front of the court will have forgotten what he's being punished for:(
    so the whole if I nick cars I go to jail threat just becomes the police pick on me because they think I'm a crim innit .
    the average squaddie who ends up on orders at least understands why he's getting done.
    well the sod who keyed my new car I'd quite happily lamp thats not actually an effective punishment.
    I want the scorate to stop doing it if that means training the scroate till he reaches a level of understanding that if I do bad thing bad things will happen to me. If I work hard nice things happen and when he gets out holding his hand till he gets a job and can stand on his own two legs so much the better

6. No matter what you teach people in jail, it will always be easier for them to steal your car than to earn enough money to buy it themselves.

A skill is all good and well but when you can make more money for less effort by robbing people, is that in itself not a more (financially) rewarding skill?