Left out in the Cold

:x Just got off the phone to my Brother who has just returned from Afghanistan on R+R , Apparently flight was diverted from brize to another Civilian Airport upon arrival they were not allowed inside the terminal building as not to upset the locals so had to change from combats into civilian clothing on the tarmac !!!! ffs its a very hard pill to swallow especially when you see scenes in the US of Transiting military in uniform being cheered and clapped by civilains in terminal buildings :x :x :x :x

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If they just gave it a chance you would probably find the British public would cheer as well. There is plenty of support for the forces from Civ Div, it is just this cr@p gubment that fecks things up and makes life as difficult as possible.

This shows an utter lack of leadership. Who allowed this to happen? Who gave the order? Who failed to stand up for his / her men?

msr

I think you'll find it is an Airports Authority 'directive'. Seems they are worried about the security aspect. :roll:

It's a real shame no one in the MoD has actually looked at this to see if it is a major security risk. If thats the case, will we see The Cenotaph in civvies next? Changing the Guard in jeans?

Still doesn't stop a rag head or two trying to drive a Jeep Cherokee through the front doors.

Yet again, we've proved this country is run by small minded beurocrats.

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
I think you'll find it is an Airports Authority 'directive'. Seems they are worried about the security aspect. :roll:
Well, seeing as "airport security" has proven itself to be completely and utterly ineffective against anything, I would have thought they would have been PELASED to have armed professionals turn up... just incase Allah's finest decides to come out to play.

Blackboard_Licker said:
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
Well, seeing as "airport security" has proven itself to be completely and utterly ineffective against anything, I would have thought they would have been PELASED to have armed professionals turn up... just incase Allah's finest decides to come out to play.
'Sactly. ;)

Name and shame the airport.

Then find out who gave such a stupid dic tat.

Pretty sure given the day, and given the current drive to "buy a squaddie a pint" et al, the civvies in teh airport wouldn't have been that fussed to see lads coming back.

As above, if our lads have to get out of our (by now) traditional dress, so can every other fcuker.

Infact, a new "security" law. From now on all persons transiting, working or just waiting in an airport will be required to wear only the white, paper suits (as worn by peodos and murderers when arrested) to avoid upsetting ANYBODY!!!!

I fcuking dispair I really do.

Before the outrage bandwagon kicks into full gear here, could we perhaps get some comments from pprune or other aviation areas. I am no expert, but am sure I've seen similar threads to this in the past - IIRC there were some good reasons given previously as to why they couldn't move on to other areas, but I don't have it to hand.
I suspect there is more to this than meets the eye...

That is fekkin disgusting.

I really do despair at what has become of our once very proud nation.

If it is an Airports Authority 'directive' like Flashy says it may be, then I hope it is challenged by someone. New year campaign by ARRSE maybe?

jim30 said:
Before the outrage bandwagon kicks into full gear here, could we perhaps get some comments from pprune or other aviation areas. I am no expert, but am sure I've seen similar threads to this in the past - IIRC there were some good reasons given previously as to why they couldn't move on to other areas, but I don't have it to hand.
I suspect there is more to this than meets the eye...
What good reason could there possibly be?

I can't believe that at all, the other day I in Manchester Piccadily station and there were at least four people in combats on their way home. People were looking at them yes, but in admiration not disgust. There were parents talking to their children about what they do for the country.

Its a load of crap that people will find it offensive and I don't even believe there is a security threat as there was 10 years ago. So is a this a top down order from the MoD, the civilian airport staff would be powerless over army right?

Im sure a goth can tip up for a flight wearing combats, boots and a T shirt, yet a British Soldier cannot?

I appreciate possible security implications for the airport, but there again in the eyes of our terrorist friends, we're all targets as we do not follow their belief and should die, whether civilian or military. The KAPE angle of seeing squaddies returning from Ops must about level out against the security risk from a military perspective?

saxon_warrior said:
:x Just got off the phone to my Brother who has just returned from Afghanistan on R+R , Apparently flight was diverted from brize to another Civilian Airport upon arrival they were not allowed inside the terminal building as not to upset the locals so had to change from combats into civilian clothing on the tarmac !!!! ffs its a very hard pill to swallow especially when you see scenes in the US of Transiting military in uniform being cheered and clapped by civilains in terminal buildings :x :x :x :x
My bold. This is the bit that really annoys me, they weren't even given a place to change. I'd like them to try that with any other group of people without being sued :evil:

"What good reason could there possibly be? "
I have no idea, but I do remember seeing something about this before - probably worth asking on PPRUNE where there are folks that know this. Im just concerned that the story the guys were given may not be true. Happy to join outrage bandwagon if its the case though - but just want to ensure we don't fire half cocked.

EDIT - thread duly posted on PPRUNE

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3795636#post3795636

This is cr@p i was on medman 1 this year and our flight stopped at shannon airport southern ireland and we were allowed off the plane into the terminal for 2 hrs in full 95's. So if we can go into an airport in 95's in ireland why cant they. Oh security its obvious that everyone there is a squaddie dpm daysacks short hair suntan couple of chicks with issue arrse. Right im off down the legion.

Reminds me of GW1. Returning from the Sand Pit to Dusseldorf airport. I requested (to my Unit based in Sennelager) prior to the flight whether my wife could meet me at the airport as the RRF were returning to barracks and I was attached arms. Fusiliers badgeman had no problems, but I was instructed (upon phoning my Unit in Germany) by my badgeman (OIC Rear Party) at my parent unit that the Germans would not appreciate my being in desert combats.

Not a problem thinks I, my missus will bring some sports kit down. Badge explains that no families are allowed as it must be low key to avoid upsetting the minorities. He explained that he would send a Unit car to pick me up.

On arrival at the airport, the band are playing us in at the tarmac, numerous families waiting flying the flag.

No fecking Unit transport for me, and left stranded at the airport :x . Phoned Unit who said that the Badgeman had mentioned nothing about it. I had to beg a lift off 2 soldiers driving to Minden. Don`t you love that kind of support!!!!!! :evil: