left handers in the Army

#1
Im joining the Army soon, got my Selection on 2nd June.

Im left handed and was wondering if i would struggle in basic training with the shooting? I never went to cadets or anything so never even touched a gun lol

Cheers :)
 
#4
dawe16 said:
Im joining the Army soon, got my Selection on 2nd June.

Im left handed and was wondering if i would struggle in basic training with the shooting? I never went to cadets or anything so never even touched a gun lol

Cheers :)
I'm left handed and learnt on the SLR way back when, once SA80 came into service it was a bit weird having to relearn to shoot right handed but it wasn't to much of a drama. I still fire the pistol left handed though.

Don't worry about it you'll be fine. :)
 
#5
"Left-hander"??!! Is that a euphamism for something unspeakable?
 
#6
I'm one of Gods own (left handed) and could shoot the bollocks of a gnat at fifty paces with my trusty BSA before I joined up, Now I can do it right handed so I doubt you will have a problem, enjoy.
 
#7
I'm left handed also and was told to practice shooting with an air rifle right handed just to get used to it. I'm sure the DS will have methods of making you capable with a rifle in your unfamiliar hand.

In regards to selection hints maybe work on your reading skills and learning that questions on selection aren't best posted in the "Current Affairs, News and Analysis" section?!
 
#8
buryfc66 said:
dawe16 said:
Im joining the Army soon, got my Selection on 2nd June.

Im left handed and was wondering if i would struggle in basic training with the shooting? I never went to cadets or anything so never even touched a gun lol

Cheers :)
I'm left handed and learnt on the SLR way back when, once SA80 came into service it was a bit weird having to relearn to shoot right handed but it wasn't to much of a drama. I still fire the pistol left handed though.

Don't worry about it you'll be fine. :)
I was exactly the same. Just practice, practice and practice a bit more, and the skills and drills will be second nature.
 
#10
"Left handers" are not only free to serve in the British Army but are positively encouraged to be open about their "left handedness". You will also be free to attend civilian "left handed" events wearing your uniform if you so wish.

I'm sure you will agree that our system seems much fairer than the US Army's current "don't ask don't tell" policy which demands that the left hander’s keep it to themselves.
 
#12
dawe16 said:
Thanks for the one's that gave me good advice :) not so worried now lol appreciated
Hope you get in mate,you wont ever regret it. In later life you,ll be so proud that you did this,even though training,exercises and tours will be hard,(you,ll find yourself wishing you were home,etc)....stick with it,mate...it,s worth it!

You,ll meet some ass holes,but generally the blokes you meet will be the best this Country has to offer and you,ll stay mates forever.Don,t worry about being left handed,the Army has ways of dealing with that kind of thing...also,don,t try to be a gobby know it all or a useless knacker,just be the "Grey Man" and obey orders,pull with the team,etc....You,ll get a lot of respect from Your superious for that attitude.

All the best and keep your head down, :soldier:
 
#13
If only it had been like that in my day, I was shunned and bullied eventually having to leave so my left handedness could be accepted by free thinking intellectuals who told me I was to embrace my "affliction" and sing from the highest towers. LEFT POWER.
 
#14
Lechies said:
I am left handed, you'll adapt easily enough no sweat. Don't worry about it.
I think that most of us traditional right handers managed to master the art of the Left-Handed W-nk in our time, so firing a rifle right handed should be a breeze for a unorthodox left-hander. :D
 
L

Lechies

Guest
#15
heard_it_all_before said:
Lechies said:
I am left handed, you'll adapt easily enough no sweat. Don't worry about it.
I think that most of us traditional right handers managed to master the art of the Left-Handed W-nk in our time, so firing a rifle right handed should be a breeze for a unorthodox left-hander. :D
Personally, I use both anyway. :wink:
 
#16
Not taking the pui$$, but practice closing your left eye!

You need to be able to close the left eye and focus and aim with your right eye. The amount of people who over the years have not been able to do that small movement is huge!

It saves having to get a shooting eye patch (and looking like a pirate.... Arrrrr!)

I'm a lefty, learnt to shhot in cadets witht he old .303 - left handed. Then joined up with the SLR - left handed, the came the SA80 - bugger...learn to shoot again. No drama's.
 
#17
sneeky_turd said:
"Left handers" are not only free to serve in the British Army but are positively encouraged to be open about their "left handedness". You will also be free to attend civilian "left handed" events wearing your uniform if you so wish.

I'm sure you will agree that our system seems much fairer than the US Army's current "don't ask don't tell" policy which demands that the left hander’s keep it to themselves.
Yes, but discrimination exists in all kinds of subtle ways. Try asking for a left-handed SA80 or even a pair of left-handed scissors and see how quickly people distance themselves from you. I'm lucky in being able to swing both ways, but there were times it was a bit inconvenient.


Got my own back on the snooker table, though - and that's without taking bribes :twisted:
 
#18
... and every time someone says do something with or to the right just do it with or to the left (and vice versa or versa vice whatever!). Always works a treat - you will get to meet plenty of new people on the drill square and guardroom. You will also be hugely popular with everyone except the drill pigs - but no-one likes them anyway.

You may like to learn from Bamber's sorry experiences though and get a left handed keyboard cos his clearly doesn't allow him to use apostrophes
 
#19
I'm a lefty and a girl and halfway through TA basic training so not got a lot going for me really! Still managed to get 2nd best group score on the DCCT though.... It can be done...

Fcuking useless on the drill square though...
 
#20
Carlos_Hathcock_II said:
Not taking the pui$$, but practice closing your left eye!

You need to be able to close the left eye and focus and aim with your right eye. The amount of people who over the years have not been able to do that small movement is huge!

It saves having to get a shooting eye patch (and looking like a pirate.... Arrrrr!)

I'm a lefty, learnt to shhot in cadets witht he old .303 - left handed. Then joined up with the SLR - left handed, the came the SA80 - bugger...learn to shoot again. No drama's.
I'll second that! I can shoot both right and left handed (rifle, shotgun and pistol) but can't shoot with both eyes open with a pistol. I have to close one eye slightly to get a good sight picture.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top