Left handed Saluting

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by ishinryu, Mar 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just undergone surgery to my right shoulder and cannot lift my right arm more than 45 degrees from horizontal and I am unlikely to be able to do so for a while until I have had extensive physio. As I am due to return to work soon, and will either have my arm in a sling and/or be unable to salute with my right arm, what is the convention on saluting? With the left hand or brace up to pay a compliment?

2. just had the same myself, i just braced up and said the usual! no one commented that i should do any different

wah shield just incase:p
  3. Unless your real name is Arnold Judas Rimmer, I'd leave the left hand down ...
  4. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Those with incapacitated/missing right arm can salute with the left hand.
  5. One of my old RSM's lost nearly all his fingers on his right hand, and rather than saluting pointing at his head, so the rumour goes, he got special dispensation from HM The Queen to salute with his left hand.
  6. Left handed saluting does invoke images of Benny Hill though!
  7. What Napier said.

It is in the Drill Manual:

02237. Saluting with the Left Hand. A soldier who has injured his right hand or arm will salute with the left hand.

8. What? A definitive answer by post #4?? You guys are killing this forum, hope you're proud.
  9. It's only definitive on paper. I've been through the same recently, saluting with my left hand (after moving my right arm through 30 degrees before painfully remembering that I couldn't), only to be told by the recipient not to bother as it looks odd. Trouble is, if you don't salute left-handed, there'll be somebody around who'll give you a bollocking.

Best to just stay indoors. Or carry a large (empty) cardboard box in both hands and just nod acknowledgement.
  10. Failing that curtsy.
  11. How about blowing them a kiss? or is that just for the RN?
  12. Sounds like an excellent excuse to not bother saluting to me.
  13. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Join the RAF and then don't worry about all that formal stuff.
  14. Remember seeing a lad in basic trg salute on pay parade with his left hand. I only caught a glimpse, my eyes nearly popped out of my head, but then he marched back out of the office with his right arm in a sling.
  15. Both my Arms are in fine working order.

Can I salute with both to show off......?