Left Hand Shooting and the SA80

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Format09, Oct 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just started weapon training with my OTC unit and have come across a problem: I can only shoot left handed. I physically cannot close the other eye to enable me to shoot right handed.

How on earth can I overcome this problem?

Not sure if this is posted in the right place just thought I'd put it in here as its shooting.....

2. Try shooting it left handed I'm sure you'll learn to fire it right handed very quickly after that!!!
  3. fancy dress shop, pirate eye patch. as an (ex) RMQ/coach believe me that is not a piss take
  4. What is it with people not being able to close their left eye?? Is this some genetic malfunction that people are now starting to have?

Try putting a patch over your left eye.

I still fail to see how someone can't close one eye?!!!
  5. Perhaps you've got your head on upside down.
  6. I can close my right eye but just can't close my left! Its like the rolling the tounge thing some people can do it others just can't!
  7. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

as has already been said, get an eye patch..

If your OTC instructors are teaching you left handed then they are complete fuckwits who need shooting..
  8. No there're not teaching us that but I know from research that it can only be fired right handed. The only training we have done so far is putting the sling on and how the NSP's.
  9. In strict marksmanship terms its actually better if you don't close both eyes. You will see many target shooters with white or opaque patches in front of their non-aiming eye. This so that they can keep the eye open but avoid distracting inputs. I realise that this isn't an option in a military context but I wouldn't necessarily assume that you have to close your left eye.
  10. take a sharp stick, repeatedly poke yourself in the left eye for an evening, you will then find that bringing anything up to your face, forces your left eye closed. Mind, it should be moot by this time because you will have lost vision in that eye.

Try this, instead of trying to close your left eye, close both, then try to open your right.