Left hand drive vehicles

Discussion in 'RLC' started by muckychimney, Apr 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I live not to far from Normandy Barracks at Leconfield which is the Army school of Transport as im sure you all know if you have learnt to drive with the forces, my ikkle question is why are most of the " Proper " army vehicles left hand drive ?
  2. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

because that's the way it should be :lol:

scnr :oops:
  3. Also the proper wagons you refer to are probably very old and their planned use was for fighting the Ruskies on the North West Plain of Germany - where they drive in the left. Linked to this the procurement processes are so long that the MoD were still taking delivery of LHD vehicles long after the Berlin Wall had been removed by the locals (without, interestingly enough, any resistance from the Russian Army).
  4. We do not intend to fight in the UK. Most of the world drives on the wrong side and that is where we intend to fight.
  5. YesItsMe

i reckon this is the right statement
  6. Damn, we must of forgot to tell MAN we want LHD trucks.! 8O

But i will say this, today i was driving a IM DROPS, LHD and that little bit too wide....why do civvies insist on seeing how fecking close they can get to you!
  7. FMT 3 then CH512O?
  8. God no! (as CH touches wood!). But there is always the journey back tomorrow! lol.
  9. Typical foreigner :lol: :p

Question answered...I thought that being left hand drive was because most of our battles conflicts etc are on foreign soil so lhd would be choice and I wuz right. Thanks for that chaps ....and chapettes yim
  10. YesItsMe

my pleasure :p

btw ... the mm is still missing in your sig ;)
  11. As CH5120 said, someone must have forgot to tell MAN and OSHKOSH.

I think it is far more likely (as was also said) a large part of our legacy (including pipeline stuff) fleet was destined for the North German Plane and therefore a percentage of them where built LHD.

Once we reduced from a Corps to a very small boy scout movement in Germany a lot of hardware was shipped back.
  12. YesItsMe

i wouldn't call the british presence in the paderborn / sennelager area a boy scout movement ;)
  13. I was talking in relation to size not potency :D

1 (BR) Corps, Rear Combat Zone, JHQ, 4 RAF Station, numerous BMH

A very small Armoured Division outnumbered by UKBC by about 2 – 1 (or it seems that way sometimes :roll:
  14. YesItsMe

can't help you with this answer i'm afraid :lol:
  15. Is it because a lot of people in the army are left handed?

Do i win?

My question back to you is this:

Why are most of the "Proper" army vehicles painted in that God awful green paint?

I was looking for one the other day and couldn't find it anywhere. Turns out someone had hidden it between some trees under a cam net