Lee Enfield No 4 Mk 2 Still in Mummy Wrap Question

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by gunslinger00777, Dec 16, 2008.

?
  1. NO!!! you fool thats a pristine peice of history

54.5%
  2. YES!! Shoot til your hearts content

33.3%
  3. Undecided!?!?!?

12.1%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi I just picked up a Lee Enfield NO 4 Mk 2 in the mummy Wrap from the factory. It has a UF 55A Prefix SN 183XX

Can anyony give me any idea has to the month of production and any other history or info on this excellent Enfield specimen.

Oh and by the way....do I pull it out of the wrapper, remove the gease and fire it or leave it as is untill my kid grows up?

Thanks

2. June 1955 - your rifle is near the very end of No4 Mk2 production.

These "UF 55 Axxxx" rifles were actually ordered by the RAF (the Army had hundreds of thousands of older Mk1s and Mk2 conversions stored in depots), but most of them were never issued - they were wrapped in preservative and stored at Weedon and then Donnigton until the 1980s. They were then sold - mostly to US and german dealers.

My vote goes to keeping the rifle in its mummy wrap and buying another "unwrapped" one to shoot. Imagine how valuable the rifle would be to your kids and grandkids - when its a 100+ year old rifle in brand new condition...

I had two mummy wraps but, because in UK there is no legal way to transfer an unproofed gun, I had no option but to unwrap them and have them proofed.

3. 4(T)
    Thanks for the info. What are you using for reference? Enfield Info can be scarce or down right incorrect here in the US. Your knowledge is great help.
    Thanks again

4. What you have there is something very rare these days: an asset that is almost certain to increase in value.

Keep it as is & buy a shooter.

5. I'd keep it as is & buy another rifle to shoot.

6. Is it true to say that the late production Fazakerly rifles (1954-5) were the best and also the worst of the production?

ie: If you got agood one, it's very good, but if you got one made during around the numerous periods of industrial action they could be very poor indeed.

Saw a magnificent one, dated 1954, with lovely furniture and match sights and a Holland and Holland barrel. But sadly some loon had deactivated it!

7. Gunslinger,

The best reference I can think of is the book, "The Lee-Enfield Story" by Ian Skennerton. ISBN 185367138X / 1-85367-138X. It's really the definitive book on the subject but getting a bit expensive at the moment.