Lee Enfield No 1 mk1 Martini Henry.

Mr Stevens

Clanker
Evening,

Does anyone have for sale or know where I can get hold of a Lee Enfield No1 Mk1 (with sliding charger) or a martini henry.

I've just got my license through with the required slots and am feeling the itch to spend some cash. :)

ugly

LE
If 4T is there ask for advice, Smith Arms may or may not have one.

ugly

LE
I was going to warn you to avoid them due to prices and the fact that they do sometimes build from parts but if you understand that its ok you just need to be able to negotiate the price down

Evening,

Does anyone have for sale or know where I can get hold of a Lee Enfield No1 Mk1 (with sliding charger) or a martini henry.

I've just got my license through with the required slots and am feeling the itch to spend some cash. :)

Borrocks. My mother sold one a couple of years ago. A Martini Henry. It'd been in the family for years. She realized that it might drop her in a bit of poo with the law and offloaded it. I doubt it had been fired in 100 years. Don't know if rifles can be resurrected; this one was superficially OK, but a look down the barrel showed quite a bit of surface rust. IIRC it was marked 1887.

Mr Stevens

Clanker
Potentially you could of had a good bore under the surface rust. In some cases it acts almost as a preservative I guess stopping the real damage getting in. In others when it's usually a bit moist in the air or damp it'll be completely nackered. Stuff caked in varnish and hung above the fireplace seems to be the best bet. Found a Joseph Manton percussion shot gun covered in thick yellow varnish and soot. Stripped it down refinished and serviced it and it's good for another 175 years.

ugly

LE
Have a look at the Holts website, its on next week

XPara Mugg

War Hero
Shouldn't you save the last round for yourself?
22and45.jpg

And a short one for my friend.

Last edited:
Could you even get the ammo for a Martini Henry today? Presumably the brass is the hard part, the bullets and powder could be reloaded? I know nowt about this subject.

Mr Stevens

Clanker
Could you even get the ammo for a Martini Henry today? Presumably the brass is the hard part, the bullets and powder could be reloaded? I know nowt about this subject.

Yes brass sold by various people, you can cast your own bullets too. It actually works out pretty cheep.

HE117

LE
Jim Goodman at NDFS used to produce turned brass martini (and loads of other) calibre cases until about ten years ago.. they still come up from time to time - so if you see any buy them..

It is possible to fireform MH cases from the brass shotgun cases made by Magtech - I forget which - there are several videos on t'interweb,however the case heads are thin and the results can be a bit iffy..

You are honestly better to buy Bertram cases from Krank. They are not cheap, but provided you anneal them regularly and don't full length resize them too often, they will last a long time.

I have a swage by NDFS that makes nice smooth bullets which I paper patch to size and are a push fit in the case, but the Henry rifling is surprisingly tolerant of bullet size. I have even see folk shoot Lee bullets wrapped with PTFE plumbers tape getting good scores. I also load a pressed beeswax wad behind the bullet, but again that is just me being an anorak.. you do however need to put something greasy behind the bullet like a grease soaked wad or melted SPSS to keep the fouling under control..

24ga brass is what you need to form the Martini Henry brass....and some kind chap to modify a lee or similar resizer so you can do it in two stages. I saw a chap in the US doing it this way and it seemed like the best way to do it. It makes a nice job, but it's a lengthy process.

I do it, but it's a going on and they don't seem to last that well even when annealed after every firing. They also have a huge capacity and a small rim which don't always extract easily.

Kynamco still sell Kynoch branded brass for the old Zulu basher, but it's kinda spendy, good, but spendy.

Bullets (if you don't want to start in casting) available here...nice quality & swaged.

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1ppdg/TargetShooterJuly201/resources/52.htm

Last edited:

Latest Threads