LED torch for lamping

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Bowlander, Oct 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone tried a cheap led torch for lamping?- my old clulite has died and the beddy whippet is fit and ready. Caught one last night using my Alpkit headtorch but it only ran 20m.

2. I always found the Tesco ones to be good and still have a couple that I bought over to septicland with me.

Tesco Cree LED Torch Review | Tesco cree led torch

If you use your Googlefu and type in 'RC N3 torch' you should find some similarly priced items that may be a tad better than the tesco job. Depends if you want to send away for something or pop into tesco for it.

3. I use a Cree R5 mounted on the scope of my .223. The light is good out to about 120yds.

You can find loads on Ebay , quite cheap but you have to wait for them coming from China.

4. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I have my man hold the lamp. I shall ask him what he uses and report back.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yes, my driver does the same for me.... (true actually :) )

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheIronDuke

Am I missing something with lamping?

You go out, sneak about, switch on the lamp then blow the **** out of any shiny eyeballs that reflect back.

Then you stroll out and pick up the rabbit / fox / badger, or go...

****. ****. I've shot a Dogging couple.

Then you get on the mobbie and prove you were somewhere else at the time. Chuck your mobbie in the river and cancel all your appointment's for the next day.

Or is 'lamping' just lamping some **** as he walks into the Gents? I am confused.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Neither of the above... Besides, the light reflects off the car windows so the doggers are safe... Or are they...... or are they..

8. If you want to lamp someone, I would recommend the strongest and heaviest available. Something like a 6 cell Maglite.

9. TheIronDuke

Fairy.

Proper lamping involves the immortals words...

"No, after you" then you clatter the **** over the back of the head with anything that comes to hand.

Lamping. It is not really about greyhounds.

10. Saw these the other day, they are not very powerful; recommend you seach on Ebay, by typing in 250 lumen LED torch, or just LED torch and you will get shedfulls. I have bought a load of small 250 lumen Cree LED torches at £5 each. They last for ages and give a beam upto 200 feet. They also do a 1000 lumen for about £12 which allegedly goes up to 400 feet. You don't need much else.
    Plod use a Cree LED 250 lumen which costs £44 and is no better than the cheapies except if you clout a hoodie with the plod one, it will hurt him much more !!!

11. Well, he did specifically ask about a torch. Maybe he's a slightly Damascene psychopath, I don't know. But there is a very practical consideration. A Maglite is wipe-clean. A tree root would probably do the job, but it would retain traces of DNA. Of course you could burn it, but in 2012 I think that we should be thinking in terms of sustainability and eco-friendliness.

12. Thanks for the responses. Read some interesting reviews about some of the cheap Chinese copies, especially about the exploding batteries.