Led lights

Discussion in 'Photography' started by No_Duff, Mar 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've seen in the camera mags led lights being used for photographic lighting but the are quite expensive.

I found these led lights in ASDA £6.95 each (72 led's). They take 4 AA batteries. I don't know how they match up compared to the Photo led's.

7.62mm x 51 for scale.

2. It depends on what you want to do with them and what type of lighing you are aiming for.

These type have a very uneven spread so are not much use for moving pictures. Increasingly film and TV camera men are replacing tungsten lights for LED versions for certain applications. They draw less power, burn cold and are more controlable in terms of intensity with built in dimmers and colour temperature adjust controls

Bear in mind also that the native colour temperature of the lights you mention would be about 5000k - closer to daylight - so if you use them inside with tungsten light they'll cause a blue cast over your subject.

The main issue I have with the LED lighting I've used is that it's not easy to control the spread of the light - they tend to flood. They are effectively open face lights and have no lens to 'spot' the beam as Fresnel type lamps would.

3. I think they work OK but you have to tweak the white balance because the light is very harsh and cold.

4. These domestic lights don't have a Colour temp' adjust so there is only one way to 'tweak' the white balance and that is to add a CTO filter (an orange gel). By the time you've stuck a filter on the light you'll have knocked the level down so far it's hardly worth using the thing.

5. You're absolutely right, but I meant tweak it in post production. I appreciate there's only so much you can do if the colours aren't there in the first place but hey, you get what you pay for!

6. In short they cast a 'cold' light so you will need to compensate for this. Great if you're photographing diamonds, rubbish for people. So down to you to use your filters and/or compensating side lighting to get the right effect.

7. Daylight can actually be used to good effect for shooting anything - not just diamonds?! I quite like shooting with 5600-6000 kelvin light sources - as long as your camera is white balanced properly the natural look works nicely. Things only get tricky when you try to mix colour temperatures although using a tungsten back light with a daylight key can produce an attractive effect.

To reiterate if you're shooting with tungsten (3200 kelvin) keylight and you try to introduce a daylight lamp (5600 kelvin) as a fill light for example, then the resulting blue cast will look unnatural. It's quite useful if you're trying to give the impression that the subject is watching TV , close to a PC monitor or is bathed in Hollywood moonlight but not much else.

The answer is key with your daylight lamps and white balance!

8. Bah humbug, used to use this stuff in the old days......

View attachment 69263

9. Blimey Grandad. Still doesn't help if you've got daylight bleeding in though.