LED Lighting for decking

My summer project is building decking and I fancy putting some LED lights in. I did buy a set from B&Q.... However taking them out the box, they look pretty cheap (B&Q of course) and the LEDs are tiny which are fed by 0.5mm cable. So, does anyone know where I can get something a bit more substantial at a reasonable cost. (No smart answers such as anti-aircraft lights!).

Cheers

My summer project is building decking and I fancy putting some LED lights in. I did buy a set from B&Q.... However taking them out the box, they look pretty cheap (B&Q of course) and the LEDs are tiny which are fed by 0.5mm cable. So, does anyone know where I can get something a bit more substantial at a reasonable cost. (No smart answers such as anti-aircraft lights!).

Cheers
We did the garden mood lighting in a smart house with the same system as this (but much fewer, and smaller, units)
Agbar Tower illuminated for the Christmas season | Demotix.com

Controlled by bluetooth etc. Maybe a bit overboard, but pretty to look at - especially the "new years" display in years gone by

Hmm, my advise is don't bother. Neighbour has them and they look OK, but are useless. Uplighters are fine indoors where you have a ceiling, outdoors they project light up to sky with little back scatter to decking as illumination angle is too narrow.

Hmm, my advise is don't bother. Neighbour has them and they look OK, but are useless. Uplighters are fine indoors where you have a ceiling, outdoors they project light up to sky with little back scatter to decking as illumination angle is too narrow.
You can "wide angle" ones now I'm told - though I suspect the are GU10, MR11/16 fittings - a whole 60º

Will your decking have a handrail? If so, groove the underside of the rail and install LED 5050 Waterproof strip.

Ebay Link

Which will allow fixed colour(s) or changing displays of your choice. You would need a small box to accommodate the laptop-PSU-sized PSU with a small orrifi for the IR controller sensor

eg(flicker is vid related not LEDs.)

[video=youtube_share;OOEebjGe5DE]http://youtu.be/OOEebjGe5DE[/video]

Screwfix

I put a B&Q set in the plinths of our kitchen about 7 years ago and they have been fine, no problem and look effective. I put some solar ones from B&Q on the decking about 5 years ago and they have been ok but do not hold a charge well in the winter months, summer they will still be on in the morning but winter they will be dead in an hour or 2. The solar ones were about £15 for a pack of 2 (so not cheap if you want a few) and they simply just screw down on top of the decking.

You can "wide angle" ones now I'm told - though I suspect the are GU10, MR11/16 fittings - a whole 60º
Yea - but the strongest ones I can find emit the equivalent of only 40w. Don't LEDs come more powerful than that?

In my opinion mate stay clear of BnQ, there quality to £ rate is atrocious. I've literally just completed this for a pal of mine, was an electrician in a previous life! If you want a decent light, go to a reputable electrical Wholesalers like Newy and Eyre, Edmunsons, TLC or QVC.

lights in this picture are, 240v, 55w blue LED's, in a 'Knightsbridge' range stainless steel weather proof walkover light from TLC. £16 + £4 for the lamp. Ended up with 18 of them in the decking, looks the nuts in my opinion!

Remember, you don't need to go low voltage just because your going outside with it, so long as its backed up by a 30ma RCD you can stick what you like out there.

In my opinion mate stay clear of BnQ, there quality to £ rate is atrocious. I've literally just completed this for a pal of mine, was an electrician in a previous life! If you want a decent light, go to a reputable electrical Wholesalers like Newy and Eyre, Edmunsons, TLC or QVC.

lights in this picture are, 240v, 55w blue LED's, in a 'Knightsbridge' range stainless steel weather proof walkover light from TLC. £16 + £4 for the lamp. Ended up with 18 of them in the decking, looks the nuts in my opinion!

Remember, you don't need to go low voltage just because your going outside with it, so long as its backed up by a 30ma RCD you can stick what you like out there.
Will be building a deck myself in a couple of years, so looking for ideas ... That installation looks great but ... don't the upwards-pointing lights dazzle you?

Nope, these specific lights have the lamp set back inside the fitting so unless you're standing directly over them rabbit in headlights they generally don't flare your vision up. At night they just kinda glow and put a haze over the tops of them. Wich work really well when you get the arcs overlapping like I've done here.

The client was a bit moany about me having so many but when they were on he understood why.

Nope, these specific lights have the lamp set back inside the fitting so unless you're standing directly over them rabbit in headlights they generally don't flare your vision up. At night they just kinda glow and put a haze over the tops of them. Wich work really well when you get the arcs overlapping like I've done here.

The client was a bit moany about me having so many but when they were on he understood why.
Cheers

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DesktopCommando DIY 2
P The Intelligence Cell 8
S The Intelligence Cell 0