LED lighting for a new garage.

connect them with these bad boys, you will need some circular conduit boxes and 4mm screws to set them in, the hard wiring goes into the terminals, then wire flexes on the fittings and you simply plug them in, if you ever need to service, or remove them twist the cover off slide the plug and the wiring is isolated
buy a box of Jack chain to suspend them on, they come with metal lugs you can bend out and bend the last link to fit then close it , then penny wasters on the screw heads to lock the chain to the joists
if the lamps are in the way swing them to one side and secure with bungees

Steeple CR10 | Un-wired plug in ceiling rose | Denmans

Steeple JCG10 | 10JC Single Jack Chain | Denmans
Got any suggestion as to BC, ES & SES lamp makes that are more likely to live up to their claimed life?
MiniSun are crap, as are Spectrum.
Oddly enough, I've only had one out of a couple of dozen of B&Q's budget range fail & that inside a week & replaced FOC.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
You can see the four LED strip lights. The difference from the old fluorescent ones is amazing. They use next to no electricity and give a much more clean and bright white light that is better for working in the garage.

Best of all is they are hooked up to a MyQ light switch so when I open the garage door they come on, plus there is a movement sensor so each time I pop in to the garage the lights come on for about 5 mins. One of the best purchases I made to be honest. Easy to install and with about 10 years of life I'll not need to change them.

IMG_0901.jpg

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Got any suggestion as to BC, ES & SES lamp makes that are more likely to live up to their claimed life?
MiniSun are crap, as are Spectrum.
Oddly enough, I've only had one out of a couple of dozen of B&Q's budget range fail & that inside a week & replaced FOC.
I have been using Osram lamps with no problems
kitted out all the daughters houses with them
some of the cheaper ones lose their output after a short time

Just a note of caution, particularly as you have them in a Garage and one of my neighbours has just been around recently, to ask me why their LED panels had gone dim in their garage.
Beware of LED Lighting systems typically rated from 100-240V.
When they say 240 Volts, they mean 240V... that's the limit and no more!
It's legal in this country for the voltage to go as high as 253 Volts for a period of time, but aside from that, if you power up with something which has a natural start up surge from an Inductive Load ( Mains Powered Welders, lathes, compressors and the like with coils in them) you could damage the lights. Anything from a constant dim output, to none at all.
If you have plans in the garage for powered kit with big motors and transformers in them, then you might consider fitting Surge Protection Devices (big Thyristor's)to shuffle off the overvoltages to earth.
The neighbours panels were top end rated at 240v and he uses a large mains powered Air Compressor for air tools and a heavy welder.
Now his LED's are about as bright as a 5Watt P Bulbs.
Whoops! Though he didn't seem too upset...almost as if he's nicked the panels from work, or something.

People complain about the cost of leccy - then I look around their kitchen and see (say) 10 or 12 50w inset halogen downlighters, so 5/600w. They leave the kitchen lights on a lot too!

Me? 2, 3 or 4W LEDS well placed and on separate circuits too! I sometimes don't shout at SWMBO for leaving the lights on now!

Every light in the house is LED.

I’ve just started converting all my house lighting to LED. We’ve just gutted our kitchen including replacing the ceiling because we also put in a new boiler with new pipework etc and after we tacked and skimmed the new ceiling, we replaced the old lighting with LED down lighters.

All the main lights in the house have LED bulbs in them. I’ve just got to sort out the smaller screw fitting sizes for some of the living room and bedroom lamps. Amazon seem to do pretty much anything you want.

Hopefully this will reduce the utility bills a bit more.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
slipperman ARRSE: Site Issues 16
DesktopCommando DIY 2
Blade-Runner DIY 19