Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lecturette

carborundum

Clanker
Gentlemen,

I passed briefing with a Cat 1, however my C.V was scrutinized heavily. My interviewing officer was particularly interested in what I had said in regards to military history. He said that he gets alot of candidates saying they're interested in military history but then know very vague details. He shot me some questions about German operations against Russia in WW2 which I was able to answer correctly and again about Napoleons march on Moscow, again I was able to answer correctly. He seemed happy I knew my stuff and said my C.V was refreshingly honest. Luckily these are areas of history I have a knowledge of. I have to say my knowledge in WW2 centers around the conflict between Russia and Germany and German military equipment and the process of designing weapons of war. However if I was to be asked about the war in the far east my knowledge is very vague, all I know is that the fall of Singapore was Britain's worst defeat of WW2. In my C.V I have said that I have an interest in military history but I'm nervous that at main board I will be asked to present a lecturette on, say, the Crimean War. Should I adapt my C.V so that I only mention areas of history I have sufficient knowledge of, or do I need to start cramming.

Thanks for your time.

P.S Although I do have an interest in military history I do not want to come across as someone who thinks they're an expert in the field of military historical knowledge.

Yes

Eoiners

Swinger
Having also put down military history on my AOSB CV, and with Briefing coming up very soon I think it may be time for a wee cramming session myself.
I would hope that the topics for the lecturette aren't as narrow as that?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Don't forget the semi-obligatory topic of Knots and Lashings.

carborundum

Clanker
Having also put down military history on my AOSB CV, and with Briefing coming up very soon I think it may be time for a wee cramming session myself.
I would hope that the topics for the lecturette aren't as narrow as that?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Good luck mate, I don't think I'm in a position to give advice as I've only done briefing but the one point I can give is be honest with your C.V, do not bull shit they will cut you to size. I hope not either I don't think they will but I'm sure maybe in the 3 interviews I will be scrutinized for it.

Be specific. I have acted as Education Advisor at AOSB (Reserves, but it's almost identical) and you will be quizzed in detail. I have an MA in War Studies, but I'd never claim expertise in 'Military History' as I know the square root of f'kall about warfare before 1914 - save what I've read in Richard Holmes's books.

carborundum

Clanker
Be specific. I have acted as Education Advisor at AOSB (Reserves, but it's almost identical) and you will be quizzed in detail. I have an MA in War Studies, but I'd never claim expertise in 'Military History' as I know the square root of f'kall about warfare before 1914 - save what I've read in Richard Holmes's books.

Thankyou, I'll change my C.V to only areas I have a specific knowledge. I really don't want to come across as trying to be something I'm not.

cpunk

LE
You will be given a choice of five subjects to pick your lecturette topic from, culled from your CV and your interview with the Deputy President, so I wouldn't get too worried about cramming. It isn't meant to catch you out, it's testing whether you can quickly prepare and deliver a structured, coherent talk on a subject you know about. The Education Advisor will ask you about your interests but, again, he isn't trying to catch you out, just gauge your level of intellectual engagement and development.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I had Masonic Historian on mine , no bugger asked me anyfing .

Tilzey

Crow
How can you even change your CV? If the board already have your application ? I had my briefing a couple of years back and my Main board is approaching very soon. If I am completely honest It is hard to remember what exactly is on there, I have done so much since my first board, much more I could talk about. How can I update this ?

Latest Threads