Lecreuset

I got a set of 3 cast iron skillets in Hess Oldendorf PX about 35 years ago, still using them today so well worth the $7... I also found a set of 5 lecreuset saucepans in John Lewis for £70, those get used less as the teak handles don’t like the dishwasher, but they work well on the woodburner.
You shouldn't be putting anything with wooden handles in the dishwasher.

ugly

LE
I don't burn anything either ;)
I dont, well not as often as swmbo likes to say she doesn't, caramelised or textured but never burnt!

How do you do that please?

Dead easy.

I usually nuke them each, for a couple of minutes in the microwave to warm them up.

Then wrap them in foil, individually, put them scrunched part of the foil downwards, to keep them just to stop burning on the hot bottom.

Depends on the size of spud, heat of burner etc, but after about 40 minutes keep taking off the lid to give them a squeeze to check for doneness.

They really have a good flavour, and it's free heat.

ugly

LE
With a heavy pan, it works as an oven. Refer to my earlier post about baking cakes in Club Aluminium pans.
I have a couple of dutch ovens both cast, one with the feet still on and one without!

@Lardbeast 's method of seasoning may well work, but a far more reliable method is that found graven on @Brotherton Lad 's pan. Repeated a few times, that pan should give many generations' worth of unsticky service. Just don't let your housemaid anywhere near it with her brillopads.

@Lardbeast 's method of seasoning may well work, but a far more reliable method is that found graven on @Brotherton Lad 's pan. Repeated a few times, that pan should give many generations' worth of unsticky service. Just don't let your housemaid anywhere near it with her brillopads.
There's a bit missing - the bit about dry-frying table salt at as high a heat as possible for 15 minutes before tipping it out, wiping the hot pan with paper then doing the oily stuff.

It's the salt that seasons the pan, the oil stops it rusting. You'll get the instructions with a carbon steel wok.

I had problems with a de Buyer cast iron frying pan as the instructions said not to use on high heat. Everything stuck to it even though I had seasoned it according to the instructions.
I then worked out that they meant the heat of a commercial hob rather than a domestic one. Now it is as good as Teflon, although rather heavier.

There's a bit missing - the bit about dry-frying table salt at as high a heat as possible for 15 minutes before tipping it out, wiping the hot pan with paper then doing the oily stuff.

It's the salt that seasons the pan, the oil stops it rusting. You'll get the instructions with a carbon steel wok.

Here's how the pros season a wok - virtually impossible at home unless you know a Chinese/Thai cook with access to a commercial range. Domestic cookers don't generate the heat necessary.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
As for dishwasher, everything goes in. I’ve got the old Le Creuset stuff and they come out really well.
Even the wooden handles, (I figure by this stage they owe me nothing)

But if I thought there was another thirty years in me. I'd sell the lot and go for the chrome Le Creuset stuff.

Hang them in the kitchen in the hovel. And buy a load of chrome pots and pans from ikea, they're really good, dirt cheap, don't stick, and go in and out of the dishwasher without any bother.

They have a real actual factory shop in French France at the factory, forget the name of the place, went past it one time.

And they have a black friday event coming up https://www.lecreuset.fr/

It is a couple of hours from Lille which has a reasonable factory shopping outlet mall thingy.

With some tight timings you could do them both in a day from Dover. I used to nip over to Lille to buy kitchen units and the maple work surfaces from the Ikea there and tiles from a local B&Q'ish place......that alone paid for the trip, pick up some wine etc, let the Mrs run around the factory shopping centre wimmins fashion shops and you are golden.

Note: There used to be quite a difference with Ikea prices between UK and France that made it very worthwhile, likewise buying tiles and other widgets.

Tip: If anyone needs oak doors or stairs, etc, they are also mucho cheaper in France. The local port town French builders merchants used to deliver FOC to Dover & Folkestone and charged a mileage rate to location from the ferry port. I knew one builder who used to have nice French bricks delivered by the wagon load.

I used to have just abut every item made by Le Creuset. My wife of the day worked at JHQ NAAFI. So we got a) military pricing to begin with, b) tax free, c) staff discount, and d) advance notice of anything going on sale. Would have been thousands if bought in John Lewis.

Ex-wife kept them in the split, but recently I've found a bunch of cast iron cookware sold by Aldi. Crofton brand. For the life of me, I can't tell any difference in quality. In some respects the Aldi stuff is superior (eg drip-baste lids).

Also, don't think LeCreuset make the 5 pan set anymore. I think there's a 3-pan set, but not sure it's available in all markets.

Here's how the pros season a wok - virtually impossible at home unless you know a Chinese/Thai cook with access to a commercial range. Domestic cookers don't generate the heat necessary.

Carbon steel. Not the same as cast iron. Hot oil soak then oil glaze gives it the non stick surface.

Latest Threads