Leconsfield

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Dogdrool, Jan 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys I hope someone an help me with a bit of info.
    Does the Army Air Corps have anything to do with leconsfield just a yes or no will suffice, as someone is telling me porkies and I am trying to find out as much as I can.
    Ta
    Dog

2. Its Leconfield.

And, no, unless they are driving trucks

3. Thought so thank you very much

4. erm, apart from all of the AAC soldiers there on licence acquisition!

5. Thats what I meant

6. fair one - but DST is a defence organisation with a number of key E2 posts there

7. Open Google Earth and copy 53 52 18.11"N, 0 26' 29.46"W into the Fly To box. Then zoom to Eye Alt 133m.

8. Great well done you have just found the RAF SAR hanger, maned by the RAF & Civvys, with a visiting aircraft parked on one of the spots, Now what has that got to do with the OP's question?

9. Given that it's the only helicopter visible on the airfield and it's not a SAR helicopter, plus it's next to the only bit of tarmac that hasn't got road markings on it, I was allowing the OP to draw his own conclusions.

And your contribution was what, exactly?

10. [quote="putteesinmyhands]Given that it's the only helicopter visible on the airfield and it's not a SAR helicopter, plus it's next to the only bit of tarmac that hasn't got road markings on it, I was allowing the OP to draw his own conclusions.

And your contribution was what, exactly?[/quote]

No you decided that the mere fact that you used Google earth to find a helicopter next to a hanger was enough to lead the OP to the conclusion that the Army Air Corps had an aviation related presence at DST Leconfield.</p>

However I was merely pointing out that he doesn’t need to draw an incorrect conclusion. As I drive past that hanger every day, I know it’s the SAR hanger, I know that hanger is manned by RAF & Civilian personnel (Not AAC), I know that is not a Seaking and its therefore not stationed at Leconfield so it must be a visiting aircraft.</p>
    The OP was asking if the AAC had anything to do with Leconfield, I used first hand HUMINT to point out that aerial surveillance does always give an accurate picture.

11. No you decided that the mere fact that you used Google earth to find a helicopter next to a hanger was enough to lead the OP to the conclusion that the Army Air Corps had an aviation related presence at DST Leconfield.</p>

However I was merely pointing out that he doesn’t need to draw an incorrect conclusion. As I drive past that hanger every day, I know it’s the SAR hanger, I know that hanger is manned by RAF & Civilian personnel (Not AAC), I know that is not a Seaking and its therefore not stationed at Leconfield so it must be a visiting aircraft.</p>
    The OP was asking if the AAC had anything to do with Leconfield, I used first hand HUMINT to point out that aerial surveillance does always give an accurate picture.[/quote]

Had you read my earlier post, you would have noticed that I provided info that the only aircraft regularly operating from there are RAF SAR. Also, if you were to click on the tag next to the hangar in the Google Earth image, you'd also find the info that it's a SAR hangar.

So all you have achieved is to confirm what I'd already posted. No incorrect conclusions have been drawn. Perhaps you'd care to enlighten us as to the type of helicopter that is shown. It's obviously not a Sea King, but neither is it a type that I recognise.

12. Usually the police chopper

13. Detail on picture is not that good and therefore I would only be hazarding a guess. But of the aircraft types I have seen parked on those spots;

Chinoock – Quite obviously not.

Merlin - Obviously not.

SeaKing - Once again obviously not.

Police MD 902 explorer. – Aircraft on pan seems to be camouflaged and no twin horizontal stabilisers.

Squirrel – The only ones I have seen at leconfield have the yellow engine cowling which would show up on the photo.

Agusta A109 – It’s normally the white RAF VIP one and this one seems to be camouflaged, although the size seems to be about right.

Griffon – once again the size is about right although it hasn’t got the horizontal stabilisers on the tail boom.

Lynx – It would seem on first glance to have no large horizontal stabiliser, however if you zoom in there seems to be a dark coloured blob in line with the second white line which could be the stabiliser. If so the camouflage pattern would be correct (it seems to be Gray & Green) and the size is about right.
    I’ll let you draw your own conclusions, but this been the aviation forum I’m sure someone will be along soon to put us right.

14. I could put you right on your spelling, (only one C in Chinook, and we're British, so it's grey, not gray) but I've decided as you're even more of a pedant than I, to scrub round the pub and come round yours... you sound like a bundle of fun.