Lebanon - how would we handle it?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Strikesure, Jul 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How do you think we'd have behaved if, say, a well motivated terrorist group, say for the sake of argument the IRA, was suuplied not by boat loads of shooters but big boat loads of BM21s or the like and they escalated their fighting to the level of kidnap (no, done that) murder (no, done that) and rockets into Bessbrook (ahh, done something similar) but on a really signifcant scale to cover all the border towns all with the support of the irish government and other nations (in this case from the US).

Would we have set up fire bases in XMG and gone hell for leather at Dundalk? I bloody hope not but it's an attractive picture.

2. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

I think if there was general cross border rocketing and shelling we might have replied with the same, although more with aircraft not artillery. No government could just turn the other cheek. I suspect we might be more discriminate though, and only launch at identified targets. I guess in theory we would set up for counter battery rader and have allocated big guns ready to shoot at a launch area....

3. The launch areas of course being next to hospitals, schools and rest-homes.

4. then the subsequent "collateral damage" would be on the conscience of those who instigated the hostilies in the first place.
    simple!

Dunno if it would get through parliment though. :(

5. imo: we'd have sent the ant-hill mob in after them (para/rm etc etc) .......and used guns and air only for strategic work.

(the collateral damage aspect would be too acute in the minds of our leftist govenment shitesters....)

6. Dont think so, Our Government would pull all forces out of the area incase we were to upset the terrorists,
    MI5 would then give them a helping hand. Then allow them to be voted into parliment and give them public
    money to exact restoritive justice as they wouldnt want our police to exact the rule of law :( :(

7. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

sounds more likely i admit. Sounds vaguely familiar actually...

8. Dont forget, if the situation had started the same way by kidnapping 2 of our troops they'd have effectively won anyway.
    After all that would have neutralised the army, so they could have popped over the border and invaded us before we had a chance to book Chalky and Smudge on a flight back from Iraq (weapon to be shipped separately). Not that we're overstretched you understand it'd just be handy if we made invasion 'By appointment only'.