Lebanon deaths morally not same as Israelis - Bolton

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by castlereagh, Jul 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well at least the scumbag is honest.
    Truly and utterly flabbergasted and this administration prides its self on its Christianity.
    Let's not forget that what started this was Hezbollah attacking the Israeli Military not civilians.

2. Cretin.

At least the neo-con grip on this administration is slacking viz Bush's off-script comments this week, but they will still try and force a last hurrah. Wonder how hard Bolton is working to stop Syria being helpful today?

3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

He cannot argue otherwise without also saying that there is a moral equivilence between Iraqi civilians killed by American troops by mistake when fighting insurgents and the killing of Iraqi civilans by those same insurgents

4. Just a question but what does dropping a bomb and killing port workers have to do with fighting insurgents?
    Especially when Hezbollah were in no where near the port in question?

5. I think what he is trying to say is that there is a difference [morally] between deliberatly killing civilians and killing them by mistake. Whether we agree or not (and I do) is beside the point. The question is why is the fact that the Americans are saying this taking any of you fine gentlemen by surprise?

6. You are quite wrong. What started this was GOD telling the Jews the "Holy Land" was theirs. This was compounded by the British (and others) agreeing to give it back to the Jews. All this despite the fact that someone else already lived there.

Interestingly, the first time around, the people who lived there were NOT muslims.

Look on a proper map of the world (One on which the Empire is shaded red) and you will find a small country called Palestine and no such place as Israel.

7. Your right Keyboardwarrior we should give it back to the Canaanites.

8. That is very true Bouillabaisse. However, I feel you have placed the cart before the horse. I don't think he is having to make this statement to avoid dodging the similarity with Iraq - he actually believes it. He and his ilk truely believe that arabs are untermenschen and their lives are incomparable to good christian/jewish white folk. It is this VERY attitude that breeds the resentment against the US and Israel and spawns terrorism. John Bolton and his neo-con pals are part of the problem not the solution.

9. Are there any left? Do they actually want it back or are they all living quite nicely as illegal immigrants/asylum seekers in some random city in England.

10. What he said was:

US Ambassador John Bolton said there was no moral equivalence between the civilian casualties from the Israeli raids in Lebanon and those killed in Israel from "malicious terrorist acts".

Not:

"Lebanon deaths morally not same as Israelis"

Are you all journalists?

11. It takes a very clever massaging of the English language to claim that a 500lb bomb dropped into a residential area is "killing [civilians] by mistake." I was watching BBC news a wee bit earlier. One of the reporters was in a 'safe' Christian residential area of East Beirut when a bomb hit about 100 yds away. It had taken out a truck with drilling rig on top, which the reporter assumed may well have looked like a rocket launcher from the air. So what's the mistake? OK to bomb a 'friendly' residential area and blame it on bad intel?

Israel has the right to defend itself. It does not have the right to dismantle another state's infrastructure out of spite.

12. "I think it would be a mistake to ascribe moral equivalence to civilians who die as the direct result of malicious terrorist acts," he added, while defending as "self-defense" Israel's military action, which has had "the tragic and unfortunate consequence of civilian deaths".

"It's simply not the same thing to say that it's the same act to deliberately target innocent civilians, to desire their deaths, to fire rockets and use explosive devices or kidnapping versus the sad and highly unfortunate consequences of self-defense"

The implication of his statement is that deaths from malicious terrorist acts are more regrettable than those from acts of self defence. He stated that the Israelis are performing acts of self defence, and that the Lebanese are performing acts of terrorism. Therefore, the implication is that Lebanese deaths are not the same as Israeli deaths.

At worst, his statement is criminally inflammable.
    At best, his statement is crass and imbecilic.

13. Oh don't get me wrong –I think Israel is going down the wrong road here. I thought the thread title was Castlereagh's not AFP's. I think AFP are guilty of a none-too-subtle massaging of the English language.

14. The Majority of TV Christian Evangelists in the States broadcast everyday on the fact that God gave Jews the land of Israel, QED attempts to attack / steal the Land of Israel is an attack upon God, where as smiting the Philistines (for that is approx where Lebanon is) is simply following Gods will - its in the Bible ask the Padre. Do remember these TV Evangelists have the highest audience ratings in the States, they are the people that elected George W because he is one of them as are many serving members of the US Army and the US Govt. including Bolton.

15. Is it Hezbollah, Hizbollah, or Hizbullah ? i only ask as the different news channels spell it differently to each other.