Lebanon Bus Bombers Caught - and Their Nationality is . . .

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Sven, Mar 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

"Lebanese Interior Minister Hassan al-Sabaa said the group was known to have close ties with the Syrian intelligence agency, but he said it was unclear who ordered the attack."
  2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

No surprise there, then. The Syrian dictatorship must be getting worried that even their Hizbollah stooges won't be able to keep the investigators away from them for ever.

Edited to add, from The Guardian today:

Interpol seeks Iranians over Buenos Aires blast
    Interpol said yesterday it is to issue requests for the arrest of five prominent Iranians and a Lebanese militant sought in connection with the 1994 bombing of a Jewish cultural centre in Buenos Aires in which 85 people died. However, it turned down Argentina's request for help in the arrests of three other Iranians, including the former president Hashemi Rafsanjani. The six people sought include former Iranian intelligence chief Ali Fallahijan and a Lebanese militant, Imad Moughnieh. Iran has denied involvement in the bombing and said it would oppose any attempt to detain Iranian citizens. Associated Press

And earlier this week:

9 dead in Thailand passenger van attack

BANGKOK, Thailand - Suspected Muslim insurgents opened fire on nine Buddhists who were riding in a commuter van in Thailand's restive south Wednesday, killing all of them execution-style, police said.
    The attack prompted officials to step up security in the south, where a Muslim insurgency has claimed more than 2,000 lives since 2004.
    Suspected insurgents bombed the van as it slowed into a curve in the road, which they also had blocked with a large tree trunk, said police Lt. Kitti Mankhong, a duty officer in the Yaha district of Yala province, where the attack occurred.
    Armed with assault rifles, the attackers first shot at the driver and then opened the side door of the van and fired at each of the passengers, he said. The driver, who was hospitalized with a gunshot wound to the face, was the only survivor from the morning attack.
    "Everyone was shot in the head at close range, execution style," Kitti said.
    The van was shuttling people from the Betong district of Yala province to Hat Yai, the south's major city, in the neighboring province of Songkhla. All of the passengers were identified as Buddhists and the driver was Muslim.

Associated Press Wed Mar 14, 7:04 AM ET

Religion of Peace? Doncha just love it??? Mind you, they taught those vicious Buddhists a thing or two :pissedoff:
  3. Indeed. Islamist fanatics can come from all sorts of places - http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,,947080,00.html

I have no doubt that are a good many more islamic fanatics carrying Syrian passports causing all sorts of problems in various places - just as there seem to be plenty of Pakistani, Saudi, Jordanian and Egyptian to name just a few.

Proof therefore that it must be official Syrian policy to destabilise Lebanon then?

Of course, the fact that Hassan al-Sabaa is a member of Hariri's Tayyar Al Mustaqbal party - which is notoriously anti-Syrian for obvious reasons - is pure coincidence.

I wonder if this is remotely connected to the fact that the 5 Shia members of the cabinet have rejoined and decided the boycott was not working to their advantage.
  4. Come on White City, tell it like it is - the majority of ministers were Hezbollah and had left the government as part of a Hezbollah inspired attempt to destabalise the government. NONE of it worked and the terrorists are now trying to weedle their way back into the countries good books.

Further, that Al Sabaa gave out the statement does not mean that Tayyar Al Mustaqbal was running the investigation - unless You are suggesting that the party has infiltrated government agencies?
  5. Am currently lying down in a dark room on account of this information coming as such a shock... :omfg:
  6. Ooooooh!!! You really have got your knickers in a twist on this one. I suggest you gather up your toys and climb back into your cot.

Last November, 6 members of the Government tendered their resignations in protest that the planned make-up was not truely representative of a 'national unity' government. Yes, it was a power-play to destabilise the workings of government and an attempt to bring it down and cause the calling of new elections which the Shia parties hoped would bring them gains. And yes it failed. It's actually a point I'm rather happy to offer myself.

Now, just have a look at who the six were, and please tell me how you come to the conclusion that Hezbollah constitute a majority. Did you study maths at school Sven?

Foreign Minister: Fawzi Sallouk (Independent-but allied to Hezbollah),
    Energy and Water Minister: Mohammed Fneish (Hezbollah),
    Labour Minister: Trad Hamadeh (Hezbollah),
    Health Minister: Mohammed Jawad Khalifeh (Amal)
    Agriculture Minister: Talal Sahili (Amal)
    Environment Minister: Yacoub Sarraf (pro-Lahoud)

I also suggest you read up again on who and what Hezbollah is. They are a political organisation that does indeed have a military wing, which includes a rather nasty pure-terrorist element. However, they are also the duly elected representatives of the people. I look forward to your condemnation of Tony Blair's acquiescence to and partnership with Sinn Fein in similar terms.

Indeed it doesn't. I made it quite clear in my post that there are many Syrian passport holders that are best classified as terrorists. That does not imply that the Syrian state is behind their actions, nor even for that matter, Hezbollah. The quote you posted said as much.

For someone constantly bleating about others shouting without evidence, the manner of your post SYRIAN (in capitals) tends to suggest you are simply pointing accusation fingers without a shred of evidence - except an alleged passport.
  7. Why would the secular government of Syria be helping a radical PALESTINIAN - ISLAMIST organisation, who may have ties to Al Qaeda? From what I remember the Syrians are still pretty chummy with groups like the PFLP and Hamas. Seriously the only country that has a track record of supporting such RADICAL ISLAMIST organisations would be the Saudis. Oh but wait, the March 14th government couldn't accuse Saudi nationals of supporting terrorism given that the Saudi government are one of the biggest supporters of Hariri movement and that they have co-opted radical Islamist groups into their own struggles.
  8. Ah but you can't say that Castle, they're on our side you see....
  9. New York Times ran a long article today concerning the group that ClaSvenitz and the Lebanese Interior Minister are pointing fingers at, Fatah al Islam.

I don't get the feeling this lot will take their orders from Syrian intelligence.

Not sure how long this link will work, so pasting in full: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/16/world/middleeast/16jihad.html?ref=todayspaper

10. I wonder if the timing of this finger waving exercise has anything to do with this... :?

11. WCity

I just don't understand why You asked the question viz a viz Blair and SF. Are You saying that Blair is amember of SF, that Blair is a member of the Boyos? If Blair has no affiliation to either organisation - why did You bring Him into the equation

To see whether you would engage in honest debate and discussion on a serious issue; to see whether you would do some sensible research and respond with some well-considered argument; or, whether you would extract an inconsequential comment and attempt to lead us up an irrelevant and tangental blind alley.
  13. Bollox - You just llike slagging Blair off and are willing to say ANYTHING, no matter how untrue, to have a go.

You'll be accusing Him of being a member of the Old Labour next.