Lebanon - a reassessment :A Poll

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by NEO_CON, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Strengthen

2. Weaken

3. Undecided

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1157913624183&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/Printer

2. Garbage

Anyone else see the contradiction here?
  3. Funnily enough, yes! Obviously missed by the 'faithful'. :)

On second thoughts, maybe no contradiction. Considering that the 'war' was pretty much a fiasco - if not a complete failure - from the Israeli point of view, it's hard to understand how you could underestimate the achievements. How much lower can you go than rock-bottom?
  4. I didn't vote in this poll, because of the vagueness of the proposition.
    I have instead split it into three different catagories

Hezbollah weakened militarily - undoubtedly. They lost position and equipment.

Weakened Strategically - I think so, especially if the UN shows the teeth they are supposed to at any future Hezbollah (or indeed Israeli) violence. If they have their arms taken away from them by a Lebanese led effort then it will have undoubtedly weakened them - I know this is doubtful but we can always hope.

Weakened Politically - Rather the opposite unfortunately. In the short and medium term I think that they have had their hand strengthened. It will be up to the opposition in the Lebanon to fight the good fight in this arena
  5. Well put Sven, hence my own " undecided " vote.

Militarily, HB have taken a kicking (even though the Israelis performed poorly considering their massive superiority). But they were always going to, and they don't give a toss how many new martyrs they have to show cr*p videos of on Al jazeera, in fact the more the merrier! Politically, they are far stronger; they now have the inaccurate reputation of being able to beat the Israelis in a stand up fight.

Ah well, the sooner we find an alternative to oil the better, then the whole of the middle east can be left to its own devices, or turned into a glasspaved parking lot, whichever seems like the best idea...