Lebanese general arrested for drinking tea with IDF

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by NEO_CON, Aug 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?apage=2&cid=1154525887756&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull
    I edited out negative comment

2. If you drink tea with those that kill your soldiers then in any country you would be prosecuted.

3. Tell that to george galloway and donald rumsfeld!

4. I do not understand the connection between Rumsfeld and Galloway.

Those people were killed after the encounter but in any case certainly don't get filmed while drinking tea.

What would be proper etiquette under those circumstances ? What should be the generals sentence ?

5. Both met on friendly terms with saddam hussain.

in response to this from KGBresident;

If you drink tea with those that kill your soldiers then in any country you would be prosecuted.

6. Soviet general Tukhachevsky took part in the funeral of George Vth. Returning to Soviet Union he along with Soviet delegation made a short stop in Paris. One evening the general was absent.

In Moscow Stalin asked about the cause. Tukhachevsky said that he visited a woman. But Stalin was much better informed than Tukhchevsky thought and he confessed that he met with general De Gaulle (they both were POWs during WW1 and were in the same camp for POWs).

Had this case payed its role or not but soon after that Tukhachevsky was accused in espionage and later executed, though Soviet Union and France were not in hte state of war.

On the incident with Lebanese general I would like to make a short note: it is an internal Lebanese business of course but I believe that if your country is in the state of war with another then all contacts between officers must be strictly formal.

7. I am just curious as to what his punishment should be. As far as a strictly internal matter , there is comment all the time as to internal matters of other countries. Should he be shot ? What is the penalty for drinking tea with some one?

From what I know about Stalin he killed many many people for far less

8. Goes to show what a farce the Leb army is. Siiting in S.Lebanon and not defending 'their Lebanon' from the invading force at the time. Not an iota of resistance came from that garrison, may of been a wise decision but pretty gutless.

Does not leave much hope for the re-deploying Leb army into S.Lebanon on the backof this ceasefire arrangment. They will be as useless as the current UNIFIL force, either turning a blind eye or (more likely with the Lebs) covertly assisting Hezb.

Standby for Round II :!:

9. I agree that we wittnessed only the first part of the play.

During the interlude IDF will quit Lebanon except Shebaa Farms, that will be the main flash point. Israel's ability for replay, however would be bounded. Israel couldn't deploy a big number of troops in this tiny area (25 sq.km) because of Hesbollah's missiles. Usage of tanks is also too risky.

The best replay would be full scale invasion in Lebanon but unlikely it would happen. Also, bombings deep inside Lebanese territory unlikely would be used.

10. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Glad I carry a British passport then as drinking tea is a British institution, 11 o'clock and 4 o'clock. You don't get more formal than that.

Mind you I can see the court case 'The prosecution contends that there is no evidence to support the claim of innocence in this case as it is proven that said tea drinking occured at around 12:50hrz' :wink:

11. Grow up.
    1. The Lebanese army is essentially a militia and would not have lasted 5 minutes in a stand up scrap.
    2. Given the location of the barracks, it is hardly a surprise that the Israelis visited. I'm sure that the General was acting under orders. Why would the Lebanese government want to escalate the situation further?
    3. You don't defend your country by sitting in barracks. If they were there, then that's because they were supposed to be there.

As to drinking tea, that was just realpolitik.

PB

12. I am just curious as to what his punishment should be. As far as a strictly internal matter , there is comment all the time as to internal matters of other countries. Should he be shot ? What is the penalty for drinking tea with some one?

I am surprised no one has a opinion as to what his punishment should be.