Leaving ? ??

#1
Hello everyone.

I have been thinking about leaving for a while now as im not enjoying it at all and just need a little advice.

I am really confused as to when i am entitled to leave. I have heard various things about this.

Am i entitled to hand my notice in after three years then server till four.. If so when does your time start from.

Any advice is good advice.

Thanks in advance
 
#4
I enlisted in Apr 05 and i was 21 at that time.


No im not enjoying. My new post is not going too well and for reasons outside of work; e.g. my wife getting pregnant again, i am going to have to look for a job with better pay and more stability.

Preferably closer to my family (For free childcare).

From what i can make out (GOOGLE), i can hand in my notice after 3 years service. Is this correct. ? Or am i going to have to wait until year 4 before i can do anything
 
#5
I think you can sign off now. Its 3 years and then one notice I think, but I'm not an expert. The best person to ask is your chief clerk or troopy. In that order.
 
#7
ok thanks for that,

so that last year then, is that fixed??

I mean i have heard of people that get out way before the year mark with a job offer. Or does this only apply after your 4 year point.

Sorry for all the questions.
 
#8
They do do it, but they dont like to. My understanding is that its done if its the only way to get you that particular job offer. I.e. they're gonna train you, and only run one course a year etc and you'd miss it. You'll lose your resettlement though if you havent already taken it. You need written proof too.

Are things that bad?

Edited to add, dont think you get resettlement anyway...
 
#9
from what i read, i believe your right.

I dont think i am entitled to any resettlement, however i am not overly concerned about that.

No things arent that bad. However, my wife will not be able to work for sometime, what with her being pregnant and so all finances, will have to be provided by myself.

What with the expenses that i already have to pay for and the future expenses of a second child, my military pay is going to be too low.

I cannot afford to stay in the army and pay for 3 people + cat to live off.

My other little daughter is 9 months old and my wife has not been working since she was born, due to me being posted, and now is not expecting to work for quite some time.

Leaving the army and finding a well paid civi job, appears to be the only sensible option
 
#10
Its hard out there mate, and there's a reccesion coming. I'm not saying dont do it, but think really really hard. You are secure in the army and have a quarter etc. Housing costs on civvy street are horrendous.

Go and talk through your concerns with your troop commander and see what he says, there may be ways in which they can help you.

Good luck.
 
#13
no i havent put it in yet. thank you for your help.

I know its a scary place out there.

Before the pregnancy thing came into it, i was strongly considering it. Im just not cut out for all of this and i dont mind admitting it.

What with children now aswel, well i want to be stable. I know some married couples manage very easily with families and children and everything, and my hat goes off to them..

However, i would be a fool to think that i can make it work. I think i have convinced myself that this is not for me.
 
#14
scrumpjack said:
no i havent put it in yet. thank you for your help.

I know its a scary place out there.

Before the pregnancy thing came into it, i was strongly considering it. Im just not cut out for all of this and i dont mind admitting it.

What with children now aswel, well i want to be stable. I know some married couples manage very easily with families and children and everything, and my hat goes off to them..

However, i would be a fool to think that i can make it work. I think i have convinced myself that this is not for me.
If finance is your motivation for leaving, I would think very carefully. If you are skint now you will be 3 times worse off in civvy street.

It's deffo not a land of milk and honey and its set to get worse.
 
#15
scrumpjack said:
Im just not cut out for all of this and i dont mind admitting it.
As others have said, Civvy Strasse is not an altogether lovely place to be at the moment, so before you jump, have you considered transferring to a different corps or regiment?
 
#16
Many may disagree, but it could be the longer you stay in, the better your job prospects will be.

Have you asked about ICAREC? You may find some helpful advice in that community.
 
#17
scrumpjack said:
Hello everyone.

I have been thinking about leaving for a while now as im not enjoying it at all and just need a little advice.

I am really confused as to when i am entitled to leave. I have heard various things about this.

Am i entitled to hand my notice in after three years then server till four.. If so when does your time start from.

Any advice is good advice.

Thanks in advance
You signed up for a minimum of 4 years. You can give 12 month's notice which means that you can be out on the 4th anniversary of joining, providing you hand in your notice on time. I cannot remember the number of the form... AFG5579??? but it is the "Amendment to Terms of Service" form and your clerks have it. Alternatively, if you have JPA, you can select the option to terminate (sic) from the Information Views (I think... JPA is switched off this weekend).

Your time starts from your first day of service - not your attestation date. I do not know whether that is true if you joined before you were 18. Older soldiers will know that the clock was reset on their 18th birthday; that may have changed.

The chances of you being allowed to leave before the 4 year point are minimal; assume that you can't, take the full resettlement package available to you and leave in good order on your 4th anniversary. If you are in a MQ, that will include handing in the keys and moving to another house!

Happy to discuss via PM, if necessary.

Litotes
 
#18
As others have said, it is a risky business jumping ship for financial reasons. If you want to put in perspective what you are actually getting paid, have a look at the Armed Forces' Benefit Calculator (Clicky); then have a look for a civvy job paying a similar wage.

Have you requested an interview with the RCMO or talked to your OC about your career and what your concerns are? Some units are more family-friendly than others. You might be able to get a posting closer to your family. Obviously you can't be based there for the next 20 years, but a few years down the line, factoring in promotion etc, you'd be better paid and your experience would count for more on civvy street.
 
#19
Detonator said:
They do do it, but they dont like to. My understanding is that its done if its the only way to get you that particular job offer. I.e. they're gonna train you, and only run one course a year etc and you'd miss it. You'll lose your resettlement though if you havent already taken it. You need written proof too.

Are things that bad?

Edited to add, dont think you get resettlement anyway...
You are still entitled to advice from the Individual Education and Resettlement Officer. You should arrange an interview with him soonest-even before you sign off as he has an enormous amount of information. Arrange via you local Army Education Centre-if you aren't sure where you come under PM me and I'll pass you the relevant numbers
 
#20
renting a three bed house: 600 pound minimum a month, plus bills on top of that 300-400 minimum. so you are talking a 1000 minimum a month just to have a roof over your head- depending on where you are living etc.

you need to think about whether you are really going to be getting that much more money for an equivilant job out of the army.

I work for the NHS and job for job I get paid less and pay hundreds more a month just of bills and living expenses etc
 

Similar threads

Top