Leaving the regular army to join the territorial army

Can anyone tell me why you can't keep your rank when joining the ta, immediately after serving 12 yrs in the regular army (exactly the same role as you were doing whilst you were in the regular army). Especially when you were a higher trade class than lads in the ta that were 2 ranks higher than you. I would have had to start at the bottom of the ladder regardless of the 12 yrs regular experience

Can anyone tell me why you can't keep your rank when joining the ta, immediately after serving 12 yrs in the regular army (exactly the same role as you were doing whilst you were in the regular army). Especially when you were a higher trade class than lads in the ta that were 2 ranks higher than you. I would have had to start at the bottom of the ladder regardless of the 12 yrs regular experience

Do you mean joining the Army Reserve? The TA hasn't existed for a few years now...

In terms of retention of rank, is there a vacancy at that rank in your new unit?

Do you mean joining the Army Reserve? The TA hasn't existed for a few years now...

In terms of retention of rank, is there a vacancy at that rank in your new unit?
This was back in 2004 and there was vacancies in my trade and rank. When I enquired about transferring to the reserves I was told yes but I would have to start at the bottom of the ladder

Because the AR/TA isnt a job placement agency for the regulars?

Ive been told I have to drop from staffy to sgt if I want to join the AR, if I dont like it, I dont have to join.

This was back in 2004 and there was vacancies in my trade and rank. When I enquired about transferring to the reserves I was told yes but I would have to start at the bottom of the ladder

From how you wrote your first post, I assumed that you were talking about now...

Because the AR/TA isnt a job placement agency for the regulars?
I thought they were desperate for regulars to go straight to the reserve a few years ago? Part of the great plan to reduce the army to 82,000 but make up the numbers by increasing the reserve. Because all those regulars being made redundant would be more than willing to join the Army Reserve. Or so the politicians thought.

I thought they were desperate for regulars to go straight to the reserve a few years ago? Part of the great plan to reduce the army to 82,000 but make up the numbers by increasing the reserve. Because all those regulars being made redundant would be more than willing to join the Army Reserve. Or so the politicians thought.

Doesnt mean they were going in as the same rank, there was a 10k bribe (taxed and spread over 4 years) but as Spaz pointed out it was stripeys and below. As with the regular army, its juniors that are needed the most.

Most of the soldiers in the AR will come in with civilian backgrounds. Some will want to stay as Privates (or whatever) but some will want to climb the promotion ladder. As they climb the opportunities get smaller and smaller. If they get to a point where the next step is being taken by ex Regs coming in with rank (which a lot will have if they are any good and served for a while) then either stay put or leave. The AR needs to be mostly manned by civilians, not enough ex regs want to join. No good having a bunch of NCOs with a few juniors.

It’s a conundrum the Ex Regs are great and good for the unit but hard to fit them in sometimes.

chimera

LE
You can level transfer if there is a PiD at your rank in the unit you want to join. You can also expect to be boarded against other AR candidates who are after the same job so it is not a done deal.

If you transfer into a role with a lower rank your legacy seniority will allow you to apply for posts at your previous rank without needing to be selected for promotion again.

There are plenty of examples of ex Regs in the AR that have happily dropped ranks on transfer - I know of a full career WO2 who is now happily filling a sgt's role doing training, and I think that HQ SW still has a an ex Reg 1* brigade commander in a major's post.

You can level transfer if there is a PiD at your rank in the unit you want to join. You can also expect to be boarded against other AR candidates who are after the same job so it is not a done deal.

If you transfer into a role with a lower rank your legacy seniority will allow you to apply for posts at your previous rank without needing to be selected for promotion again.

There are plenty of examples of ex Regs in the AR that have happily dropped ranks on transfer - I know of a full career WO2 who is now happily filling a sgt's role doing training, and I think that HQ SW still has a an ex Reg 1* brigade commander in a major's post.
I was under the impression ex-regs could take up their equiv rank depending on how recently they left... if it's sooner after back when I was in it depending on a vacancy being available at the unit, and also rank being relevant to the qualified trade equiv

My unit is a fine example. Every turnout is predominantly Seniors and Warrants. The majority of which did a few years in the Regulars before leaving as their career was going nowhere. Joined the TA, drank with the right people and got promoted to where they are now. Old drunken bully network. Choose your unit wisely, ask the juniors what it’s like and what’s wrong with it

Latest Threads