Leaving the Australian Army Reserve and joining the TA

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by JCC84, May 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey everyone,

Spent the evening reading through these forums and found some good information on here but thought i'd join up and post a few quick questions about joining the TA.

Just a bit about me, I'm a dual national (Australian and British). I grew up in Australia mostly and now I'm moving back to England with the misses. I've been in the Army Reserve over here for 6 years (5 years infantry 1 year as a driver in a cav unit) and leaving has been really difficult. I really enjoyed my time in and a friend suggested checking out the TA when i get to England. I'm moving mostly because the misses got a good job there that starts in August. We will be living in London, exactly where in London i'm not sure, and i guess we'll have to figure that out when we arrive but it will have to be somewhere near Central London and most likely north of the river.

What are the infantry units like around that area? Just from looking at the TA website F company 7th Battalion looks like it would be nicely located. And 4Para B Company too (since i can meet all the fitness requirements). But looking at the tranasium thing they have at P Company... makes me stop and think long and hard about how i feel about heights.

What is the deployment situation like? If i was keen would i be likely to be able to throw my hand up for an overseas deployment? Where can i find information about which units are being deployed? Australian reserve units almost never deploy, so its quite exciting to think that i would have the opportunity to go overseas.

Should i go and see a recruiting office or could i turn up on a parade night and have a chat to someone at a particular unit? How long does the process usually take to get in?

And finally is there any advice or anything i should know about signing up? I'm a British National but i'm not classes as a resident since i haven't been 'ordinarily residing' there for the past 3 years. Is this going to be a problem for me?

Any help would be much appreciated.

JC

2. msr

msr LE

Best way to do it.

msr

3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Call B Coy (0845 4330411 and on www.4para.co.uk) and arrange to get on the first available insight night, usually the first Tuesday in the month.

They will give you all of the information you need, and you can chat with any of our other Antipodean types in the bar afterwards!

4. F Company 7 Rifles can be contacted on 0207 629 3674. The 2 i/c is also from Australia ( New Zealand State ) so you'll obviously know each other.

:D

5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Mine. I got in first!

Besides, if he jacks the fitness or bottles it on the trainasium we will redirect him to your lot or the Londons as we do with our other rejects.

6. and if he sweats at the mere thought of the BARB test we'll be glad to reciprocate!

7. Hah, i had to google that. Gave me a laugh.

Thanks for the advice. Once i get boots on the ground over there in July i'll drop in and have a chat see whats what.