Leaving teaching to join Sandhurst

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Armyapp62, Sep 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I'm currently a Secondary School Teacher, am 24 years old and am considering leaving this profession to join the army as an officer. I've been teaching 3 years and have been very successful so far, becoming head of department with extra pay etc. Has anyone else made a similar decision!? I have a comfortable life but know I would have much more fulfilling experiences in the Army. I'm just a bit worried that I'm being 'foolish' in leaving when I'm doing well, and starting something new. I'm also concerned that if I decide to leave after the required 4 years, that I won't be able to get back into teaching and may have chucked away all my opportunities! Hence being worried about being a fool here.

Any advice/guidance of anyone who has been in a similar situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Any advice for going the other way?

3. Lots of people leave some very successful careers to join the Army, as an Officer and has a Soldier.

To be honest, it's a personal thing. At the end of the day you're the person who has to take the risk and if it's something you WANT enough (and believe me, you need to want it) it'll be worth taking the risk.

Go on a few regimental visits, see what life is like and ask questions there. It's the best thing to do really mate.

4. Do it, DO IT NOW!

5. Thanks! Yeah I was thinking that once I posted it, I know really it's a personal thing, I'm just looking for someone to tell me it'll work out alright no matter what! I had a very successful 5 year long cadet career (I owe my time there to my success in teaching through the things I learned) and so I like to think I'm not as oblivious as some when going in, I know more about how good it can be, but equally I know how bad it can also be! I defo want it - I just dont want to look back in 5 years and think what the hell did I leave teaching for and it turn out to be a hinderance in the long run for the sake of 5 fantastic years.

I guess I just need to chat to like minded people to convince myself!
    Thanks a lot mate, I appreciate your help.

6. You regret the things you don't try a lot more than the things you did. I think when you're 30 you'd regret not trying it if your thinking about it a lot.

I was in a similar position ie good civvie job, but at least you have something good for your cv you can fall back on if it doesn't work out.

7. Exactly why I have to face it, I know if I don't go in than it will live with me for the rest of my life (sounds cheesy, but unfortunately true) I can't think of a day since I was about 8 that I haven't thought about being in, especially since cadets! I think I'm just going to go for it to be honest

8. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

I used to do very well for myself working for a major civilian security company. At 22 I was Contracts Manager for the city I lived in and was earning a comfortable wage. I had a house and a rather tidy girlfriend. I'd always wanted to join the army though.

Woke up one morning and thought "Bollocks to this."

Woke the girlfriend, told her I was going to join the army. We split up that day after a year together.

Went to the careers office the next day, started the process.

Quit the job a week later, sold the house two weeks after that and spent the very short period of time before going to ATR Pirbright staying at a friends house.

Never looked back, never regretted it.

If you're going to do it, you've got to do it right.

P.S - Interestingly, if anyone wonders why I sold the house, they wouldn't let me join because I had a mortgage. They classed it as unmanageable debt..... That was the only thing I do regret. They were talking out of their arses.

9. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

Oh, I will add one thing, and this is probably somewhat controversial, but from what I've experienced, if you join as a Regular soldier, you'll end up far more qualified than any officer will do after, say, six years and more importantly they'll be quals that'll mean something back in the real world too. I've got various Instructor skills and CTTLS that an officer would be hard pushed to get never mind driving licenses worth thousands of pounds if you went on a course yourself. I wouldn't say it's something you need to factor in considering where you're coming from, but for someone with a good but bog-standard job that they're thinking of trading in, then sometimes Officer isn't always the best choice if you want to get more feathers in your hat.

10. Wow! That was really gutsy! I guess I don't have any excuse really. I admire your tenacity!

Cheers

11. I wouldn't throw away such a well established career away on a whim of joining up.

If you don't like it/aren't very good at it, what's your plan B..?

My advice, try the TA first. If you love it so much, go regular. If you quite like it, keep it as a part time thing. If you fuckin hate it, you've still got your proper job!

12. Teaching is great experience for the Army!

I spent a few years teaching in the Tertiary sector after leaving the army and was amazed at the job similarities between a Pn commander and a teacher.The skill sets are almost identical.

Good luck but work on your fitness before RCB.

13. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Which part of the Army are you interested in? And for how long?

The Army is about to go through a once in a generation change, so you need to consider what it is you want to do.

14. ETS?

15. No-one should tell you that "it'll work out alright, no matter what". Obviously, success depends partly on how committed you are. I believe that those who have had another career find Sandhurst a greater shock than for those out of university (and even harder than for those straight out of school); it's not meant to be easy. However you'll never know unless you try, so good luck!