Leaving ranks and joining officer

Hi I was wondering if it possible that after joining as a private as a combat medical technician, after one or two years leaving and then re-joining as an officer in military police or as an intelligence officer?

Hi I was wondering if it possible that after joining as a private as a combat medical technician, after one or two years leaving and then re-joining as an officer in military police or as an intelligence officer?
I have known a few people that have done that. Dont go RMP because no one will like you. When you are a CMT speak to your RCMO about it. He will do all the legwork for you. Good luck

Different service to me, but generic military careers advice is to choose the job you want most from the outset because it's the only assured route to your primary aspiration.

Many people join-up & change branches or go for a commission but whenever you are trained in a role, you need to be aware the services usually require a payback (Return of Service) to recover costs. Despite what members of the Royal Family may achieve, the average person is seldom able to be like Mr Ben and select a range of jobs from the "Tesco Finest" range.

Whenever you want to swap jobs within the services, it involves someone else going out of their way to facilitate the change - for no gain to the unit you are currently working within. It therefore helps if you do most of the legwork to make it easier all around.

As we get older our priorities change. Most people join young & single with few responsibilities but what may appeal now may not appeal later if it involves separation from families and partners

In my experience, a lot of people initially want to be an underwater knife-fighting fast jet commando special forces sniper pilot (like me). The reality can be quite different when you look at eligibility (including age, qualifications, physical preparedness, nationality, aptitude, ability etc., etc).

My tip? Aim high from the outset & have a Plan B.

Good luck.

In theory, you wouldn't need to leave and re-join.

Perform well, and there will the the opportunity to apply for a Direct Entry Commission, subject to meeting the age criteria. This is becoming increasingly common in the Army, although we are still far behind the RAF. The Potential Officer Development Course runs on a regular basis for those seeking DE entry. That said, it's best to get squared away in civvie street and go to Sandhurst in the first instance if you can.

Alternatively, some cap badges permit Late Entry commission from the rank of Sgt with others allowing application once reaching WO2 / WO1, clearly this would be much later in your service career.

Unlikely, you don't appear to be able to string a sentence together with punctuation.

I also get the impression you haven't even bothered to do any research on the idea either.

The Loggies might take you though...

Unlikely, you don't appear to be able to string a sentence together with punctuation.

I also get the impression you haven't even bothered to do any research on the idea either.

The Loggies might take you though...
What is research, if it isn't firing up the internet and joining up an online forum to ask a question to people who are likely to know something on the matter?

Last edited:
Speak to your OC. If you have shown any potential as a Rupert he will have heard of it and they can put you forward for some selection weekends. They were called 'Project Champion' when I was on them.

Myself and one other (both L/CPLs) were put forward as potentials, he went the whole way and is now the Platoon commander, I on the other hand did not enjoy the officer bit and saw my weekends developing into emails and desk work which is what I joined the reserves to get away from. I am much happier where I am now mentoring and teaching but I have been told the door is still open if I wish to cross over to the dark side!

I don't think changing cap badge is a problem with the lack of Reserve jr officers, I was approached by a few different officers of different cap badges as was my friend looking to poach us from the REME but as said above your own unit may not be the happiest if you do not at least let them know this is your plan.

If you do go away remember to give 100% but always play the game as you are always being watched.

Different service to me, but generic military careers advice is to choose the job you want most from the outset because it's the only assured route to your primary aspiration.

Many people join-up & change branches or go for a commission but whenever you are trained in a role, you need to be aware the services usually require a payback (Return of Service) to recover costs. Despite what members of the Royal Family may achieve, the average person is seldom able to be like Mr Ben and select a range of jobs from the "Tesco Finest" range.

Whenever you want to swap jobs within the services, it involves someone else going out of their way to facilitate the change - for no gain to the unit you are currently working within. It therefore helps if you do most of the legwork to make it easier all around.

As we get older our priorities change. Most people join young & single with few responsibilities but what may appeal now may not appeal later if it involves separation from families and partners

In my experience, a lot of people initially want to be an underwater knife-fighting fast jet commando special forces sniper pilot (like me). The reality can be quite different when you look at eligibility (including age, qualifications, physical preparedness, nationality, aptitude, ability etc., etc).

My tip? Aim high from the outset & have a Plan B.

Good luck.
What he said!!

However, what he failed to mention was that - in reality - an 'underwater knife-fighting fast jet commando special forces sniper pilot' actually does this:

1534348506734.png

:)